• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh great - another war

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    nothing short of an Iraq style invasion will end this - which is probably being planned as we speak.

So anyone still think this isn't a war?
    While Cameron does seem strangely keen to have a pop at Ghaddafi (payback for making the UK look foolish over the al-Megrahi release?), I doubt he has either the stomach, or probably more importantly, the resources, to mount a ground assault.

"Take the bugger out from the air and let the Libyan people sort out the mess" seems like a far safer plan than getting embroiled in another exitless guerrilla war.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
      "Take the bugger out from the air and let the Libyan people sort out the mess" seems like a far safer plan than getting embroiled in another exitless guerrilla war.
      In a nutshell. Not that the pragmatism of such an approach will do anything to assuage the panic-stricken hysteria that is currently afflicting some of the forum Guardianista birdbrains!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Good article in the DT:

Defeat the Libyan regime. And then? - Telegraph

TV reporting has a lot to answer for. It creates an impression of downtrodden young people just wanting freedom and democracy and people rightly sympathise with those but it often does not begin to describe the reality of opposition in the area - Islamist groups, tribal leaders as bad as the dictators they are replacing, Shiahs wanting their turn at repressing Sunnis. To get involved in this is in any way is purely insane.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The only reason the West is doing anything is that Gaddafi announced a plan to nationalize all oil production in Libya, and shut out western companies.

These potty dictators never learn - As soon as Saddam Hussein announced in 2002 that Iraq would start selling its oil in Euros instead of Dollars, his fate was sealed (even if it did take a couple of years).
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It is basically not a war.

Definition of ‘armed conflict’
            44. Technically the United Kingdom has not formally declared ‘war’ on any state since 1942. The Law of Armed Conflict (also often called International Humanitarian Law) which regulates the conduct of armed conflict, applies to any armed conflict between states, however the participants choose to describe it. So a formal declaration of war is not a condition precedent for the application of international humanitarian law. The Government does not propose that any of the canvassed options should be predicated in any way on a formal declaration of war.
            http://www.justice.gov.uk/docs/cp2607a.pdf
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Xog, that Torygraph article basically sums up my views - interestingly not a Grauniadista lefty pinko rag.

For a more balanced view there is this:

The Daily Mash - Fingers crossed Libyan rebels aren't insane

Whichever way you look at it, the govt never thinks these things through. Make no mistake, this is going to hang around and haunt us for years, especially now the arabs have changed their mind (as soon as we went in).

Now who would have predicted that? I know Shaunbhoy wouldn't but to be honest he struggles with most things.

Comment

Whichever way you look at it, the govt never thinks these things through.
                Of course they don't. If only they had a crystal ball like yours eh?

Tip for the day, get yourself a helmet. That way when you come off your bike and land on your head again, you might not do so much damage.

HTH
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Xog, that Torygraph article basically sums up my views - interestingly not a Grauniadista lefty pinko rag.

For a more balanced view there is this:

The Daily Mash - Fingers crossed Libyan rebels aren't insane

Whichever way you look at it, the govt never thinks these things through. Make no mistake, this is going to hang around and haunt us for years, especially now the arabs have changed their mind (as soon as we went in).

Now who would have predicted that? I know Shaunbhoy wouldn't but to be honest he struggles with most things.

there was a very large number of countries who wanted to get materially involved right from the off. It might be a bit dumb long term, but it seemed to me there were lots of people who saw a relatively risk-free way to stick one in Gadaffis eye

i.e. it was more anti-tyrant than anything else

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Is it safe to go on a mediterranean holiday while it's all kicking off?
                    Yes - I would recommend Sharm-el-Sheik or Hammamet

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
                      Yes - I would recommend Sharm-el-Sheik or Hammamet
                      and take care if you book Tripoli. make sure you get the right one

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X