• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stopping at Traffic Lights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Same. In fact, I usually watch the lights on the opposite phase to see when they go amber, and set off at that point. By the time I hit the line I'm doing 20mph and the lights for the phase I'm in are just turning amber, so I can cross the line legally.
    In my experience, those that do stop short of the line, are just setting off when they are a dot in my rear view mirror.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      Same. In fact, I usually watch the lights on the opposite phase to see when they go amber, and set off at that point. By the time I hit the line I'm doing 20mph and the lights for the phase I'm in are just turning amber, so I can cross the line legally.
      Are you sure about that part? If you go through a light on amber changing green->amber->red then OK, but not the other way around shirley?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Are you sure about that part? If you go through a light on amber changing green->amber->red then OK, but not the other way around shirley?
        Hmm, I think you're right:

You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36]

You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is showing. Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right. If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36]
        Since the transition from red to green never involves amber being shown without red (i.e. red and amber are shown together), you cannot technically move over the white line until the light is green.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I hope you realise that in the course of this debate, you've wasted the sum total of all the snippets of time you've saved with your precision traffic lights ballet.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
            In my experience, those that do stop short of the line, are just setting off when they are a dot in my rear view mirror.
            All I can say, is thank fck you are in front of me and not behind me. At least I can keep my eye on you

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
              WHY, do some people stop at least a car's length from the line at traffic lights, I just don't get it?
              Something else I don't get even more, is why do people not use pay @ the pump! No they wanna go inside and stand in the f ucking queue meanwhile keeping me waiting to us the pump! If your going to bye something inside then ok but most of them don't.

USE PAY @ THE PUMP FFS!!!

Comment

Working...
              X