• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stopping at Traffic Lights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    What about the people that take roundabouts like a chicane and so driving straight across the lane that a faster car is using to overtake them?
    Only when its clear, I prefer the racing line as it saves fuel and polar bears.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Does it matter? what's wrong with gaps? except that , at an average speed of 30 mph, each 3m gap you need to make up will delay your journey by 0.2s

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Only when its clear, I prefer the racing line as it saves fuel and polar bears.
        I deliberately take the long way round and stay in lane because it's good practice for trackdays. Half the time this nearly results in an accident because nobody is expecting you to stay in lane.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

What about people who stop at clear roundabouts instead of taking it like a smooth fast chicane.

If everybody did a track day as part of the driving test my morning commute could be at least 5 minutes quicker.
          Oh you've hit a sore spot there. I was once cycling down a steep hill to a perfectly empty roundabout where I could take the first left, chicane like.

Idiot driver in front of me stopped at the dotted line, then looked to see if any traffic was coming.

I still don't know how I managed to stop in time, for I was doing a great rate of knots.

Hmm. I've just remembered the roundabouts in Leeds. The planners' brief was obviously to slow you down, because they put huge grassed mounds in the middle so that you couldn't see what traffic was coming. You really needed to burn rubber on entering them in case something appeared from around the bend all of a sudden, especially if you were headed for the inside lane. One could almost forgive the roundabout lunacy of Swindon after that experience, for at least you could see over them.
          Last edited by Sysman; 19 March 2011, 14:50.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            What about the people that take roundabouts like a chicane and so driving straight across the lane that a faster car is using to overtake them?
            I had that once. A young bird was doing that at every single roundabout on the way to work and I couldn't manage to pass them for several miles. Straight across two and three lane roundabouts without any regard for the road markings.

I eventually managed to pass her, then duh!, stopped to buy a sandwich, and there she was doing the same at the next roundabout.

I pulled over and ate my sandwich at that point.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

If everybody did a track day as part of the driving test my morning commute could be at least 5 minutes quicker.
              I think a more accurate statement is "either 5 minutes faster, or 60min slower due to the frequent accidents"
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                WHY, do some people stop at least a car's length from the line at traffic lights, I just don't get it?
                There's a set of lights near my house where you have to stop 6' before the line because there is no repeater set of lights opposite, and if you are on the line (thanks to the recessed lenses/sun shields) you can't see the lights change, but the guy in the white van behind you can, and invariably blares his horn the nanosecond they change.

Next time you see it happen, check for the repeater set opposite.
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

If I need to get a quick start, I will leave a space so that I can start rolling at amber and cross the line on green.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It all boils down to over population of the Uk (heading for 100m soon, when denmark has 9m people), dumbing down of drivers tests and cheap petrol.

I'm hoping Osbourne slaps that 5p a litre fuel duty on asap.

Infact, for AGW reasons, make it 50p increase per litre.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      If I need to get a quick start, I will leave a space so that I can start rolling at amber and cross the line on green.
                      Same. In fact, I usually watch the lights on the opposite phase to see when they go amber, and set off at that point. By the time I hit the line I'm doing 20mph and the lights for the phase I'm in are just turning amber, so I can cross the line legally.
                      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                      X