• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobsworths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Newsflash !

People, regardless of job, position, race, creed, whatever, gossip about people. It's not limited to a surgery. Doctors gossip in the staff room, over their tea and biscuits. I've been there fixing a PC and heard them. What I have never heard is malicious gossip. General gossip, yes. Medical gossip, yes.
    yup medical gossip is totally acceptable, we all gossip about each others medical issues whatever job, position, race, creed etc etc
    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      WSS

I also don't appreciate they way they gossip amongst themselves about patients.
      They probably hadn't heard of one of those being stuck up there before!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Now, BGG. I do not need your newsflash to tell me that people gossip.

It is the fact that they gossip loudly in earshot of the full waiting room.
        Can you define gossip in a bit more detail ?

Eg, if a receptionist says to the other "Did you know Missus so-and-so's son has just got a place at Oxford", and others in the waiting room hear it, then it's hardly a big deal is it ?

If it's a case of "Did you know Missus so-and-so's gone and got the clap again", that's a whole lot different, as it contravenes medical anonymity and a whole raft of other regulations. I've never heard conversations like this one, openly discussed in the waiting room. If you have, report it immediately to the Practice Manager.

I like the fact that you have come into contact with some nice receptionists that are good at what they do. It gives me hope that one day, I may encounter such a rareity..
        I've met ditzy ones, dozey ones, happy ones and sad ones, clever ones and average ones. I've have yet to meet any deliberately malicious ones !

However, given that the majority of posters on this thread, myself included, have had bad experiences I think you are being more than a little condescending in your tone and opinion of how we approach a phone call with a surgery receptionist. I'd bet everyone of us has made the call with a polite disposition only to be confronted with an angry old battleaxe with a grudge to bear. And like MP said, frankly it's not my problem.
        Me condescending ? Hardly. Actually, if you want a real example of that, you only need to listen to how some patients that ring up a surgery deal with the receptionists. It doesn't restore one's faith in human nature, that's for sure !

As for it "not being your problem",
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Can you define gossip in a bit more detail ?

Eg, if a receptionist says to the other "Did you know Missus so-and-so's son has just got a place at Oxford", and others in the waiting room hear it, then it's hardly a big deal is it ?

If it's a case of "Did you know Missus so-and-so's gone and got the clap again", that's a whole lot different, as it contravenes medical anonymity and a whole raft of other regulations. I've never heard conversations like this one, openly discussed in the waiting room. If you have, report it immediately to the Practice Manager.
          Very much like that. I live in a city with a massive gay community, and lots of gay patients at my surgery. Nasty was a mild discription of how they (the receptionists) were (about the patients).

If you have, report it immediately to the Practice Manager.
          I did.

I've met ditzy ones, dozey ones, happy ones and sad ones, clever ones and average ones. I've have yet to meet any deliberately malicious ones !
          Count yourself lucky then.

Me condescending ? Hardly.
          Guess we will have to agree to differ on that.

Why the ? It isn't my problem.

Regardless of how bad a day I am having, or how much of an ass my last client to call was, if I treated my clients like that, I'd get the sack. Simple as.
          Last edited by cailin maith; 17 March 2011, 15:49. Reason: Edited to be more clear...
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Anyone in a customer facing role, and doing it well, shouldn't pass the shit: from one customer on to the next. Thus, it's not our problem (as polite callers) that the previous caller may have been an arseboil.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Very much like that. I live in a city with a massive gay community, and lots of gay patients at my surgery. Nasty was a mild discription of how they were.
              So are all gays "nasty" or just the ones at your surgery?
              </sarcasm>
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                So are all gays "nasty" or just the ones at your surgery?
                </sarcasm>
                Oops, I meant the receptionists were nasty not the gays, they are usually grand.

Do I need to edit that post?
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

Oops, I meant the receptionists were nasty not the gays, they are usually grand.

You homophobe.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Too late to backtrack. I thought you were talking about gays as well.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                      You homophobe.
                      Shortarse.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Too late to backtrack. I thought you were talking about gays as well.
                      OMG, really, did you think that??
                      Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                      X