• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobsworths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    After moving to a new town and making new friends, some of whom are disabled, I was shocked that they refer to themselves as "Crips".

As a fellow disabled person myself, it took a while to get in to their thinking, but essentially, they are claiming it back for their own. (If anyone has seen Clerks II, remember the porch monkey routine ?)

A lot of it has come from the more militant members of the community, who are fed up with ever-constantly changing labels whilst people try and pussy-foot around us and not offend us. So basically, we're saying (or at least our group is saying), chill out, we're crips, we're happy with the term, use it. TBH, to see the look of confusion on normal folks faces is worth it sometimes.
    There's PC labels, then I guess there's the offensive ones such as the one I splodged out.

Crips it is from now on though.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      There's PC labels, then I guess there's the offensive ones such as the one I splodged out.

Cheers MP !

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
        They should really start publicly sacking Bureaucratic tw*ts when they do things like that.
        Then they can't win, can they? Sacked if they don't help and if they do, it's more that their job's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

I've heard the phrase cripple creek when referring to the parking bays at the supermarket but never dared call anyone a crip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            From the torygraph's live coverage of the Japan disaster;

FFS. (sorry, can't think of anything more to say about that)
            Why bother saying anything until the facts of the matter are known?

As for BGG's comment, "Crip"? Nah mate, why bother with a label anyway, that applies descrimination. Just like non-whites referring to each other as "*******", unnecessary and in my book unacceptable.

The "*******" represents a colloquial term for Negroes, bloody spell check.
            Last edited by Churchill; 16 March 2011, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Cheers MP !

So for clarity if "crip" refers to someone in a wheelchair (or disabled person), does spazzer still mean numpty of the highest order?
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                I've heard the phrase cripple creek when referring to the parking bays at the supermarket but never dared call anyone a crip.
                Or me...

I think it'd be quite rude. I do use spaz every now and again somehow it seems less offensive than crip.

But I prefer "fu<ker" - it's my go to swear word.

Along with "oh tulip" which I used in front of an 18 month old at the weekend and he promptly used it himself
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Why bother saying anything until the facts of the matter are known?

As for BGG's comment, "Crip"? Nah mate, why bother with a label anyway, that applies descrimination. Just like non-whites referring to each other as "*******", unnecessary and in my book unacceptable.
                  Thats nothing, I went to school in Liverpool with a guy who had learning difficulties, a white mum and a black dad, and he started robbing with a machete when he was about twelve.
                  So we might have called him A n***** crip mofo,bin-dipping calm-down, calm down gangsta,
                  but we called him Pongo instead

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Then they can't win, can they? Sacked if they don't help and if they do, it's more that their job's worth.
                    They can help.

They just need to know who to talk to higher up and how to interpret the rules - English is a funny language.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      Thats nothing, I went to school in Liverpool with a guy who had learning difficulties, a white mum and a black dad, and he started robbing with a machete when he was about twelve.
                      So we might have called him A n***** crip mofo,bin-dipping calm-down, calm down gangsta,
                      but we called him Pongo instead

Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X