• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors and Tradesman needs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An idea that I have thought of in the past is this. I'm open about it as I don't have the inclination of ever doing it!

As a contractor I spend a long time away from home. When I get home I want to spend the little time I have with my family. But I still have to pay bills, do paperwork, and most of all sort out hotels.

The bills part of it my wife can do but things like hotels and getting a good rate is a real pain in the arse.

What about a personal concierge service that looks after all the crap like looking for hotel deals etc and other things. I would happily pay for a PA to do all this for me with my interests at heart (not a commercial interest) but I won't pay for a full time PA. So if someone could act as a PA for a group of contractors that would good. May be online, I don't know. Especially if they also took calls for you too like a real PA would.

All I do know is I spend too much time sorting out crap in my freetime!

In summary a shared PA!

Comment

It's called an American Express Platinum card.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgy Agent
        well said Bob the crate.
        Not bad eh ? Especially from a supposedly unimaginitive, unenergetic, no risk-taker 40 plusser like me.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          It's called an American Express Platinum card.

HTH

I've got the Amex Platinum Card already for the free airport lounge access and
          travel insurance.

But I can always find hotels cheaper than it can. That's my point. I want someone personally looking after my interests not theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
            I never understood this "bad idea 'cos it's been done before" attitude.

Is this to say there is only room for 1 recruitment agency with a web site or only room for 1 search engine or only room for one .net developer ?

In my opinion Warren there is more than enough scope for your service ... particularly if what you plan will be better than what's already around.
            True, but you have to consider how much room there is in the market, and you have to say there are pleanty of well known brands already doing this sort of thing (Yellow Pages for one). Unless you're going in with a huge marketing investment and prepared for a huge loss initially, or doing something genuinely innovative, then the chances of competing with well established brands are pretty low.

And there's a fundamental catch-22 with this sort of idea: the service only works if you get a large number of tradesman to sign up, and large numbers of tradesman will only sign up if the service is already successful.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

And there's a fundamental catch-22 with this sort of idea: the service only works if you get a large number of tradesman to sign up, and large numbers of tradesman will only sign up if the service is already successful.
              That's easy. It's called marketing, or in laymans terms, lying.

Comment

PA service for Contractors

Originally posted by jason986
                An idea that I have thought of in the past is this. I'm open about it as I don't have the inclination of ever doing it!

As a contractor I spend a long time away from home. When I get home I want to spend the little time I have with my family. But I still have to pay bills, do paperwork, and most of all sort out hotels.

The bills part of it my wife can do but things like hotels and getting a good rate is a real pain in the arse.

What about a personal concierge service that looks after all the crap like looking for hotel deals etc and other things. I would happily pay for a PA to do all this for me with my interests at heart (not a commercial interest) but I won't pay for a full time PA. So if someone could act as a PA for a group of contractors that would good. May be online, I don't know. Especially if they also took calls for you too like a real PA would.

All I do know is I spend too much time sorting out crap in my freetime!

In summary a shared PA!
                That sounds very interesting! I do think that a lot of contractors just want to do the job and take the money home. A premium service that could reduce the peripheral leg work was exactly what i had in mind.

Contractors have lives too! The same as the customer, they want things to be as simple as possible...

So in theory would you (the contractors) consider out sourcing the administration, marketing, booking of accomodation etc? It could free up a lot of time for you to do other things. Services could become a lot cheaper with discounts and the like. Combine this with the potential to target the kind of business you want by times of day, job size, location etc.

What about a web service for contractors wanting to expand and market themselves to new areas...

All thoughts appreciated...

Comment

Yellow pages on line

Originally posted by VectraMan
                  there are pleanty of well known brands already doing this sort of thing (Yellow Pages for one). Unless you're going in with a huge marketing investment and prepared for a huge loss initially, or doing something genuinely innovative, then the chances of competing with well established brands are pretty low.
                  Have you tried using this website? I just looked for a plumber and found nothing but hundreds of posts for recruitment agencies?!?!

Comment

Got a handed a leaflet in high street this weekend for someone doing just this. Don't agree it's a bad idea. Yell/yellow pages are not a real local service. The former does not provide many details beyond basic contact details. Some areas have something like this, some don't. If yours doesn't it may work. One could probably do worse than go round Tescos/B&Q etc talking all the cards from their boards and sending all of them a flyer.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X