• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh FFS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    I would always fix myself if I can, when my lappy died a few years ago due to an SP3 update if I had listened to the guys on the tech line I would have lost years worth of work as they said it was screwed - in actually fact the fix was criminally easy (even if it took a month to discover) - I've never trusted tech lines since.

the script is very dangerous as it is designed to fix the problem but not always in a satisfactory way.

'do you have a windows disk'
    'yes'
    'reboot with it inserted and reinstall windows'
    'no, because as I just said I CANNOT LOSE ANYTHING ON THIS MACHINE, REINSTALLING WINDOWS WILL WIPE MY FILES YOU F**KIN IDIOT!'
    'you can't fix any other way, windows is broken please reinstall or return laptop to us and we'll wipe your files for you and charge you for that privilege'
    If it's so important to you, shouldn't it all be backed up else where off the machine? you know, just in case something catastrophic does happen so you don't lose years worth of work.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      If it's so important to you, shouldn't it all be backed up else where off the machine? you know, just in case something catastrophic does happen so you don't lose years worth of work.
      I had all my files backed up it was just that my set-up consisted of hundreds of plug-ins and dlls and saved configurations so the only way I could restore and get everything back was taking the entire disk image which back then at the time I was ignorant of, I could have possibly been able to reinstall every app and plug-in i needed but it would have taken days and would have meant i'd lost saved settings and work, if it was just files i doubt I'd have called them in the first place and just reinstalled and restored the files from back up
      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Playing stupid for the win. Through to Level 2 tech support.

Comment

Working...
        X