• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mumsnet readers and others - thing to do in somerset over a long weekend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Somerset is deceptivly big, I lived there for more years than I care to remember and have kids similar ages so I will try to offer some advice.

DON'T GO TO WESTON! Drive to Burnham-On-Sea, it's not as "glitzy" as Weston as there are no amusements etc, but if the kids are that young I don't think it will matter, but parking is a lot easier and the beach is better.
    I live in Weston-super-Mare and couldn't disagree more! There's parking in Burnham but that's because there's no reason to be there.

Donkeys, Ice cream and the Pier is what kids will want along with miles of brand new promenade, there's also a new toddlers water park up by Knightstone.

Burnham or better Brean would be OK only on the best summers day for the beach only as Weston would be crowded.

Other local attractions:

Clevedon sea front has bouncy castles, big play area, little steam train etc (we go there with our 3 year old).
    @Bristol (big interactive science museum)
    SS Great Britain
    West Somerset Steam Railway (to Butlins)
    East Somerset Steam Railway (not used it)
    Cider Farms (everywhere)
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
      Looking for some local info on the wells area for a long weekend with missus and kids (2 & 6).

We have VIP passes to the wookey caves as part of the hotel booking (any good?).

What else is there to do around there that is worth doing with young kids. Longleat? Anything else?

<Hugz>
      Never actually been around Wookey Hole caves - went there a couple of years back but you had to go round in a guided group & the one we were to join was full of noisy Korean schoolkids so we passed.

You can get a pass for all the attractions at Cheddar Gorge, can't remember how much but it lasts a year. It includes Cheddar Caves, Jacob's Ladder, a couple of museums & an open top bus tour through the gorge.

If you're going to Wookey, make sure you take in Ebbor Gorge - it's smaller than Cheddar Gorge but there are no roads running through it just paths. There's a circular walk you can do starting from the car park there and you can take in Wookey Hole on the way round as the route passes right through. They used to make all the waxworks for Madame Tussauds there & they had a museum. Not sure what's in there now though.

Then, just above there, is Priddy which is the highest village in Somerset. There's a nice green there where they hold a sheep fair every year & 2 really good pubs. Queen Vic is my favourite. But if you want the authentic Somerset pub experience you must go the the Hunters Lodge just outside Priddy. A real old, no frills cider house & they do excellent but very basic pub grub. They let kids in too I think.

I've heard that there are no monkeys at Longleat any more. I think they were put down due to some epidemic or something. That means you'll be able to drive through the lion reserve without loads of baboons descending on your car & destroying your wiper blades. If you're over that way, it would be worth a detour to go to Stourhead and King Alfred's Tower. If it's clear, you can see right down to Exmoor from the top of the Tower in one direction & up to the Severn bridge in the other. Right in the middle of a big forest so plenty of nice walks.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Somerset is deceptivly big, I lived there for more years than I care to remember and have kids similar ages so I will try to offer some advice.

DON'T GO TO WESTON! Drive to Burnham-On-Sea, it's not as "glitzy" as Weston as there are no amusements etc, but if the kids are that young I don't think it will matter, but parking is a lot easier and the beach is better.
        I still do live there.

At this time of year the beach in Burnham is pretty dire, unless you like quicksand close to shore. There are some decent bits of beach between Burnham and Berrow also between Brean and Uphill, though some caution is needed - still a lot of mud; though there is quite a lot of signage. We have a hovercraft now to pull the grockles out, though sadly it's not always successful.

There are quite a lot of amusements in Burnham, just as many as Weston. There are a couple of decent restaurants too.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          There's parking in Burnham but that's because there's no reason to be there.

:
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Monkey World!!!

It's Dorset but not far in, we loved it.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If you're going as far as Dorset, there's also Bovington Tank Museum to consider.

Comment

Burnham on sea. Nothing there. Grim.

Also, Hinkley Point nuclear power station is a stones throw from the beach.

Visiting Hinkley Point Power Station in Somerset, UK

Something to think about when the kids are playing in the sand/water there.

Are high cancer rates in Burnham-On-Sea linked to Hinkley Point?

Comment

What's all this talk of beach and sand? Surely the best place is tucked up nice and warm at home. Or there is Bristol Airport nearby, which goes to lots of hot places.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    What's all this talk of beach and sand? Surely the best place is tucked up nice and warm at home. Or there is Bristol Airport nearby, which goes to lots of hot places.
                    Yes, this time of year it will be 50 mph winds, sand blasting and 5 deg top temperature. Forget it.

Best to find a pub with a childrens area and relax for a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                      I quite fancy the motor museum, but I don't think the missus and kids will be quite so exited about it over seeing a bunch of baboons arses.
                      Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      Aircraft, with a two year old....nah.

Too much hassle for a long weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X