• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Last weekend's laugh out loud moment.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Dogs is worth a watch

Video: Mad Dogs, Sky 1, preview - Telegraph

only 4 parts but by far the best British drama I've seen in a long time
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      Yeah House is formulaic, where they spend 80% of the show trying various solutions to heal someone, eventually House has an epiphany, and the rest of the team are shown to be pretty useless. It's the other stuff that I still watch it for, particularly House as a character himself and his interaction with the others. Hugh Laurie plays one of the more interesting characters on TV if you can see past the fake american accent.

As for Chuck, well it suprised me how good it actually is (as someone who can't stand overtly geeky stuff such as The IT Crowd). Only got interested to see what the 'nerd becomes spy' angle was about and suprisingly the nerd side is probably the most underplayed part of the show in that you don't have to be a nerd/geek to get or enjoy the humour, a lot of it is movie/comic book originated. It's certainly more about great chemistry amongst the lead actors, good writing (not to mention hundreds of classic one-liners, think Big Trouble in Little China), and a great mix of comedy, drama, and romance. The latter suprisingly compulsive due to the chemistry between the leads, and how good an actress Yvonne Strahovsi is when showing emotion through expression and very few words. There's also the 'strahotski' factor as well, but there's a lot more to her than a hot blonde who doesn't mind appearing in her underwear or tasty outfits frequently.

I know these shows aren't going to appeal to everyone but if you haven't at least given the first couple of episodes of the first season a go you could be seriously missing out.
      yeah I know that House has a lot more going for it, think I'll try a few episodes

felt the same about chuck (i don't mind geeky humour, don't like IT crowd though - isn't funny) so think Ill try this too, there is another similar show burn notice

Funniest show on US tv was Arrested Development, it could be relentlessly funny at times, not everyones cup of tea - it's very silly and similar in style to scrubs (lots of in-jokes, non-sequiturs etc) but is actually funny and not stuck up it's own arse
      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Just started watching Breaking Bad and have finished up to episode 4 of season 1. Season 2 ready and waiting for Season 1 to be completed.

Recently done some hard core series watching while on the bench.

Dexter Season 5
        True Blood Seasons 1,2 and 3 (36 episodes in 4 days!!)
        Weeds Seasons 5 and 6
        Six Feet Unders Season 1,2 and half of 3 so far.
        Breaking Bad half of Season 1

Other recently viewed recommendations
        Zombieland
        The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy
        The Blind Side
        Blood and Bone
        Last edited by Scrag Meister; 15 March 2011, 14:51.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          You must be as weird as me then.

I still think the portaloo thing was amazing.

"Why are you blue?"

It gets a bit grim towards the end of the series though.

The last episode is positively surreal and one hell of an exercise in cause and effect.

But I will watch Series 3 when I can get it.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Mad Dogs is worth a watch
            Yeah it was ok, but I felt slightly let down after the last episiode. Was expecting more to the story.

Was drooling over the villa though, and the Spanish female copper wasn't bad either. Set on Majorca if I remember right.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
              felt the same about chuck (i don't mind geeky humour, don't like IT crowd though - isn't funny) so think Ill try this too, there is another similar show burn notice

Burn Notice does look pretty good, sort of a modern day take on The Equalizer, seeing as the premise is a spy that gets kicked out and then does jobs on the side while trying to find out why the burn notice was issued on him. Only seen the first 3 or 4 episodes but intend to watch more when I get chance.

Chuck reminds me of Alias but takes itself less seriously, though there are obvious similarities with the main spy in both shows being a kick-ass female. Sydney Bristow or Sarah Walker. Hmmm, both please. Ideal blonde and brunette male fantasy material.

For those interested, Chuck season 1 has just started showing on 5* (previously Fiver) on freeview etc. Episode 2 is on 9pm tonight, repeated 8pm (probably with cuts) on Thursday, and at 9pm Saturday. Make sure you watch the first (pilot) episode first if you can as it sets everything up and is a great episode too.
              Last edited by PAH; 15 March 2011, 17:10.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

There is a lot of hype about "terra nova" due to start in the US next month, hope it lives up to the hype

Started watching the Borgias, looks ok, hope Neil Jordan can keep his sh1t together.
                He has given himself a lot of credits, writer, director, producer etc. etc. so I am not holding my breath.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I think the bath-tub episode in series 1 is probably my favourite. Sadly, that was also the point my wife decided it wasn't for her so now I have to watch it without her.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Recoding "Walking Dead", anyone else watching this? Haven't seen any yet.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Sounds like Lost MkII to me.

I don't think I'll bother.
                      I was hoping for B5 type show.

Lost MkII and I'm out.
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X