• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The beginning of the end of the PC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Not even if (or when) the target market is predominantly one of smarthone and iPad users?

I guess the office market should really be broken down into at least two major business categories anyway: users (the majority) and developers (who may need more wires and boxes).
    Can't see a spreadsheet user being happy messing with a device that has a screen size between 7-10 inches. Start plugging in peripherals and your back to laptop / PC territory.

And the security implications with all those lost / nicked devices...
    Me, me, me...

Comment

I don't hate Macs, but they do give me a syncing feeling | Charlie Brooker | Comment is free | The Guardian

^ this says it all for me in a much better way than I ever could
      sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Can't see a spreadsheet user being happy messing with a device that has a screen size between 7-10 inches. Start plugging in peripherals and your back to laptop / PC territory.

And the security implications with all those lost / nicked devices...
        Yeah, screens may be a touch small, currently.

Is the security issue any different from laptops?

One might also envision a future where the smartdevice may not need to be company owned, or even tied to any particular model or manufacturer. Not quite unlike the future evolving today for web based applications.

Comment

Yeah, screens may be a touch small, currently.

Is the security issue any different from laptops?

One might also envision a slightly future where the smartdevice may not need to be company owned, or even tied to any particular model or manufacturer. Not quite unlike the future evolving today for web based applications.
          Interestingly ClientCo is looking at porting their apps to iOS and Android. They won't be full versions but the thinking is they might provide a path to the full on apps by giving the customer a taste of what can be done usefully perhaps before upgrading to PC or Mac versions. These apps on a tablet device or smartphone would never have the functionality of the desktop versions in part because they would normally be used alongside scorewriting or sequencing software.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

A lot of us started here when the mainframe (and dumb terminals) was still king too.
            Still is...I tried accessing 3270 sessions over a smartphone, it was utter crap but web-enabling applications, i.e. CICS works pretty good.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Interestingly ClientCo is looking at porting their apps to iOS and Android. They won't be full versions but the thinking is they might provide a path to the full on apps by giving the customer a taste of what can be done usefully perhaps before upgrading to PC or Mac versions. These apps on a tablet device or smartphone would never have the functionality of the desktop versions in part because they would normally be used alongside scorewriting or sequencing software.
              Smartphones are becoming so powerful so rapidly, why would people want to port to a PC? Isn't the home PC going the way of the dodo?

Comment

A lot of us started here when the mainframe (and dumb terminals) was still king too.
                Babbage phoned TW. He wants his abacus back.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Smartphones are becoming so powerful so rapidly, why would people want to port to a PC? Isn't the home PC going the way of the dodo?
                  Not in the music recording world for a long time I suspect.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
                    Yes, captures the Apple philosophy completely.

I can imagine switching on my old iPod/iPad/iPhone one day soon and it will simply show a screen saying "Product obsolete, please enter your credit card to order latest product (£500) or swipe to selfdestruct".

You never own an Apple product, you are merely paying to rent it until next month when the new and almost identical replacement becomes available.

Hurry up MS/Google and make a decent tablet OS and let the Chinese clone manufacturers knock out the hardware for £99 and see how Apple fair then.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      The actual trend is that in the next few years the internet will be accessed more through smart devices(phones/pads etc) then PC's.
                      Depends what you mean by "the internet". The iPhad makes a lot of sense as a leisure device, for watching "funny" videos off the net etc. But for an internet forum like this where written communication (i.e. typing) is more important, would you really want to be using a touch screen? The thread would have reached 5 pages before you'd got in your first "I know more about climate science/economics than you".

When I was playing with an iPad the other day I fired up google maps, and for that being able to scroll and zoom in and out with my finger was superb.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X