• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letters to a Heretic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Has anyone ever said that global warming is a threat to humanity (as a whole, rather than just a threat to some humans)?
    Al Gore?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

no, the real question is "should anyone give a sh!t?".
      Why?

We're only one of many species that have at one time flourished and then died out on this planet.

What comes next...?

Comment

That is true. It is high time the lizards had another go.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Why?

We're only one of many species that have at one time flourished and then died out on this planet.

What comes next...?
          I know this

the testiclopod

its a sort of one legged bollock that can live on a diet of thin batter and water laced with ammonia

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

That is true. It is high time the lizards had another go.
            They'd better be good swimmers!

Comment

Interesting opinion though from a member of the IPCC.
              Er, no. Khandekar is an 'IPCC Expert Reviewer' To become an IPCC expert reviewer what you have to do is this:-

(a) Request a copy of the draft report.

(b) Sign an NDA.

(c) That's it.

I could be an IPCC expert reviewer, as could you. It means next to nothing and certainly does not confer IPCC membership. Indeed Khandekar is just another retired and discredited academic. The only bodies who retain him as any kind of 'expert' are oil-funded astroturfing groups.

On the other hand the IPCC Working group on the science had over 700 contributing authors, every last one a practising and published climate scientist. Two years ago the Copenhagen congress consisted of 80 sessions, seminars and workshops each led by a practicing scientist or economist, mostly at Professorial level, and met to consider new evidence that had arisen since the IPCC 2007 report and gave us the message

Recent observations confirm that, given high rates of observed emissions, the worst-case IPCC scenario trajectories (or even worse) are being realised. For many key parameters, the climate system is already moving beyond the patterns of natural variability within which our society and economy have developed and thrived. These parameters include global mean surface temperature, sea-level rise, ocean and ice sheet dynamics, ocean acidification, and extreme climatic events. There is a significant risk that many of the trends will accelerate, leading to an increasing risk of abrupt or irreversible climatic shifts.
              I thought one or two of these guys might know their stuff, but now I've read that devastating, detailed and utterly pursuasive rebuttal in the journal Hindustan Times I am reassured that we have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. What a relief .
              Last edited by pjclarke; 28 February 2011, 23:59.
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                Er, no. To become an IPCC 'expert reviewer' what you have to do is this:-

(a) Request a copy of the draft report.

(b) Sign an NDA.

(c) That's it.

I could be an IPCC expert reviewer, as could you. It means next to nothing and certainly does not confer IPCC membership. Indeed Khandekar is just another retired and discredited academic. The only bodies who retain him as any kind of 'expert' are oil-funded astroturfing groups.

On the other hand the IPCC Working group on the science had over 700 contributing authors, every last one a practising and published climate scientist. Two years ago the Copenhagen congress consisted of 80 sessions, seminars and workshops each led by a practicing scientist or economist, mostly at Professorial level, and met to consider new evidence that had arisen since the IPCC 2007 report and gave us the message

I thought one or two of these guys might know their stuff, but now I've read that devastating, detailed and utterly pursuasive rebuttal in the journal Hindustan Times I am reassured that we have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. What a relief .
                You would do well not to disrespect people you know nothing about. Treating them fairly is a basic human norm as well.

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I keep asking this question, what's the worst that could happen?
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    I keep asking this question, what's the worst that could happen?
                    Have you seen Mad Max?
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      Have you seen Mad Max?
                      Is that all? I grew up in Glasgow
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X