• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More tax increases on the way, after all...its only fair!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More tax increases on the way, after all...its only fair!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4765030.stm

IR misses out on £10billion a year because of tax avoidance from dodgy contractors!

I wonder...perhaps if there was a flat rate tax that makes tax avoidance pointless that maybe IR would be getting back a bit more than £10billion eh?

Then again, given this current Governments ability to stuff up even the most basic of laws (like that anti-protest one ) then naturally enough they will stuff up any flat rate tax so much that it will look exactly like the shambles that is called the current tax system!

BTW, can someone tell me how you can "lose" money you have not made in the first place?

Mailman

tax avoidance schemes are just so passe these days.

Taking out mortgages on properties that are already owned outright, then redeeming them with gifts received via hedge funds are the new way to run ones affairs.

Its all about fairness in NL's utopian society we all enjoy today.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4763984.stm

Nice analogy at the end

Simple fact is though...the more onerous a tax system becomes the more people will find "creative" ways of defeating it.

Mailman

Comment

Star Wars has the answer

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

Comment

You are under the misaprehension that the government wants to raise money. This is a fallacy. They just want to make sure you do not have the money.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

True, after all, if the government had more money, they would simply waste it anyway. There is no other organisation as mis-managed and financially illiterate as the government -- and they want to teach us about "fair" tax?

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              BTW, can someone tell me how you can "lose" money you have not made in the first place?
              Mailman
              Don't start.

I've had that conversation with the Editor of BBCi before it is like talking to a brick wall. It's why I did n't bother trying to put it right this time. Had I done so I would have also queried why the artical makes no mention of the over 2000 years in total businesses have spent under investigation yet owe no more tax (just for one tax measure). Or the loss to them in time, money, lost productivity, stress and sleepless nights.

Comment

Working...
              X