• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Niall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    So he hands the keys back, never pays the debt, where does the money go?

Is this deflationary? (i.e. destruction of money)
    No way. The bank then has a bad debt, which they cover by taking more from customers, or from taxpayers.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
      No way. The bank then has a bad debt, which they cover by taking more from customers, or from taxpayers.
      And use to write off against profits and reduce their tax liability.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

OK, so Niall has got himself in a mess, with the considerable assistance of some exceptionally talented bankers, and it's easy to say it's his fault. But what would you do in his position? If I were to end up in financial penury, for example if a client were to sue me or the Dutch tax authorities (who are a law unto themselves) were to hit me with their version of IR35 for the last 6 years, I'd go to the UK too and declare myself bankrupt.

Basically, Britain has the right law in this case, designed to ensure that a businessperson whose business has failed can get back on his feet as quickly as possible and take the lessons he's learned into a new business which might succeed. That might be harsh for the creditors, but ultimately better for the economy as a whole. Unfortunately the rest of the EU is lagging behind in this respect.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Bloody Irish. Coming over here taking advantage of our liberal laws with their funny singing, and stiff upright dancing ways

what have the Irish ever done for us ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Guinness
            Bushmills
            Galwey Oysters
            Irish Stew
            Donegal Tweed
            The Duke of Wellington
            Terry Wogan
            and, last but certainly not least...
            they're not French

Comment

Three members of the corrs
              Last edited by Pondlife; 23 February 2011, 09:16. Reason: numpty spellink

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Three members of the coors
                The Corrs?

Yeah, why do they need the moustachioed one?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  they're not French

That's good enough for me
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    The Corrs?

Yeah, why do they need the moustachioed one?
                    1) Yes.
                    2) Don't know. Pointless really.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      Bloody Irish. Coming over here taking advantage of our liberal laws with their funny singing, and stiff upright dancing ways

Erm, I seem to remember that I carried some pints back from the bar for you - cheeky fe<ker!!
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X