• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Niall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    It's not because he does not remember, outside the cities many streets/roads don't have names signs and houses don't have numbers.

So 'Mr O'Neill who lives nextdoor to the primary school, <village name>, <County> is the address.

However I did notice last time I was back that if you use satnav names do appear, but as there is no street name signs, no one knows what they are.
    HTH
    I noticed that too! Sat Nav is pointless unless you are in Dublin or Cork. We put in Mam & Dads address and it gave us the location of the post office, about 1.5 miles away
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Basically, Britain has the right law in this case, designed to ensure that a businessperson whose business has failed can get back on his feet as quickly as possible and take the lessons he's learned into a new business which might succeed. That might be harsh for the creditors, but ultimately better for the economy as a whole. Unfortunately the rest of the EU is lagging behind in this respect.
      The US has had better bankruptcy laws for a long time. Apparently Mark Twain, Buster Keaton and Henry Ford went bankrupt but were allowed a fresh start.

Edited: took Harold Lloyd out, added Mark Twain and Buster Keaton.
      Last edited by Sysman; 23 February 2011, 14:33. Reason: forgettery
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        I noticed that too! Sat Nav is pointless unless you are in Dublin or Cork. We put in Mam & Dads address and it gave us the location of the post office, about 1.5 miles away
        What you're actually saying is; 'in Ireland satnav is pointless unless you know where you are and you know the way to where you're going'.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I used PatNav and ended up in the canal

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What you're actually saying is; 'in Ireland satnav is pointless unless you know where you are and you know the way to where you're going'.
            Erm, yes
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              The US has had better bankruptcy laws for a long time. Apparently Henry Ford and Harold Lloyd both went bankrupt but were allowed a fresh start.
              Yep, good point; I know an English chap who started a fitness centre in Philadelphia, went bust the first time, learned his lessons and started again about a month later; he now employs about 200 people in several cities.

Comment

I once saw a telly program about the Irish post office. Apparently if people send letters to small villages and can't remember the address they regularly write things like 'Mr O'Neill who lives nextdoor to the primary school, <village name>, <County>', and the post gets there. Brilliant; we need an efficient system like that in the rest of Europe.
                You use to be able to do that in the UK years ago.

I sometimes wrote letters to friends but couldn't remember their door number so described their house and they would get the letter within the normal time. (And this included London addresses).

No chance now as the postman/woman changes everyday.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                  No way. The bank then has a bad debt, which they cover by taking more from customers, or from taxpayers.
                  Not if they have securitised the debt and sold it off to a hedge fund (or more likely another bank that is now tulipting themselves) as a AAA rated investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Not if they have securitised the debt and sold it off to a hedge fund (or more likely another bank that is now tulipting themselves) as a AAA rated investment.
                    Now who would be so deceitful they'd do that?

And who would be so gullible to fall for it?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      You use to be able to do that in the UK years ago.

I sometimes wrote letters to friends but couldn't remember their door number so described their house and they would get the letter within the normal time. (And this included London addresses).

No chance now as the postman/woman changes everyday.
                      The UK Post Office used to take pride in getting illegible and wrongly addressed letters to their destination.

My granny once sent me the traditional crisp brand new birthday fiver plus card in an envelope addressed with a mixture of my address and my sister's address (about 150 miles apart), and after a week or so it reached me intact.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X