• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Football Threads on this Forum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I was at a childrens party on Sunday morning and started chatting to another dad.

'Going to watch the rugby this afternoon?' I asked
    'No. We don't do sports' was the reply
    'Homo' I thought

He appeared to read my mind. Can you read my mind pacharan?

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Actually threads 'die' of their own accord when no one bothers replying in them and they fall off the first page.

Sectarianism is what keeps the Scottish football threads alive.

HTH
    Miaow!! But true.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      I suppose it's because most footy threads are about "big" matches involving Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and the like, which are inherently transient.

The threads I remember that last longer than that involve something more, like the two you pointed out, the Liverpool manager one, and the biennial England tournament post-mortems.

Does anyone here follow a non top division side? Or am I the only one?

Anyone here follow the likes of Barnet, Rochdale or Arbroath? Accrington Stanley? Borehamwood?
      Barnstoneworth!!!

Comment

Light relief used to be the official place for sports threads but that was consistently ignored.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Anyone here follow the likes of Barnet, Rochdale or Arbroath? Accrington Stanley? Borehamwood?
          I'm a Gillingham fan but have been a season ticket holder at Crawley Town for the past three seasons. Getting my reward on Saturday with a trip to Old Trafford that makes it all worth it.

Comment

Can we all stick to the 'is suity manic or depressed today?' threads please.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Can we all stick to the 'is suity manic or depressed today?' threads please.
              Maybe we need a "noisy children in forums" thread
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I was at a childrens party on Sunday morning and started chatting to another dad.

'Going to watch the rugby this afternoon?' I asked
                'No. We don't do sports' was the reply
                'Homo' I thought

He appeared to read my mind. Can you read my mind pacharan?
                If not wanting to watch ruby was an infallible sign of being a homo, the UK population would have dwindled to almost zero about fifty years after William Webb Ellis first picked up that football.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  If not wanting to watch ruby was an infallible sign of being a homo, the UK population would have dwindled to almost zero about fifty years after William Webb Ellis first picked up that football.
                  Would have got rid of the soccer woofters though.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Actually threads 'die' of their own accord when no one bothers replying in them and they fall off the first page.

Sectarianism is what keeps the Scottish football threads alive.

HTH
                    I don't think that's quite fair. I wouldn't class the banter we throw at each other on those threads as sectarian. Sectarian is the young Celtic lad getting his throat cut as he's walking home from the game just for wearing his scarf. Or the Rangers fan stabbed to death in a city centre pub by a Celtic fan for no reason other than he was a bear.

Too many people automatically label normal football banter as bigoted bile just because it involves Rangers / Celtic. I've seen and heard far worse stuff at a Man U / Liverpool game or a Tottenham / Arsenal game.

I'd have a drink with any of the Dhims on this site. They'd be buying of course.
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                      I don't think that's quite fair. I wouldn't class the banter we throw at each other on those threads as sectarian. Sectarian is the young Celtic lad getting his throat cut as he's walking home from the game just for wearing his scarf. Or the Rangers fan stabbed to death in a city centre pub by a Celtic fan for no reason other than he was a bear.

Too many people automatically label normal football banter as bigoted bile just because it involves Rangers / Celtic. I've seen and heard far worse stuff at a Man U / Liverpool game or a Tottenham / Arsenal game.

I'd have a drink with any of the Dhims on this site. They'd be buying of course.
                      Fair enough Incognito, but some of it can appear pretty vicious to neutral eyes.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X