• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's the sun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the sun

Interesting new paper on the sun and it's affect on climate:

New Paper: Solar irradiance at Earth surface varies up to 24 times more than expected | Solar Cycle 25
    I'm alright Jack

Is it on page 3?

Comment

Quote:While satellite measurements find that total solar irradiance only varies 0.1% from a solar minimum to solar maximum, the ground-level measurements analyzed by the authors show a change of 1.8 ± 1.0% in the UV-A (320–400 nm) spectrum and 2.4 ± 1.9% in the visible (400–600 nm) spectrum over the course of a solar cycle. End Quote.

So do they mean that the accuracy is reduced when measuring something from 36000 km away compared to measuring where it really happens. No tulip Sherlock!!!
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Ah. I see how this works

1. A new paper is published (rather a good one actually, thanks). It shows a slightly greater than expected influence of the solar cycle on temperatures. At the South Pole. Over the last 17 years.

2. The less than credible and apparently anonymous website Solar Cycle 25 (not to be confused with the admirable solar cycle 24 ), punts it out as evidence that the climate models are wrong (which they are, by definition, all models are 'wrong, some are useful).

3. Therefore 'Its the sun'

How an 11 year cycle, almost by definition zero-sum, can produce several decades of warming, is not explained. I am sure someone will elucidate that one for us.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          Ah. I see how this works

1. A new paper is published (rather a good one actually, thanks). It shows a slightly greater than expected influence of the solar cycle on temperatures. At the South Pole. Over the last 17 years.

2. The less than credible and apparently anonymous website Solar Cycle 25 (not to be confused with the admirable solar cycle 24 ), punts it out as evidence that the climate models are wrong (which they are, by definition, all models are 'wrong, some are useful).

3. Therefore 'Its the sun'

How an 11 year cycle, almost by definition zero-sum, can produce several decades of warming, is not explained. I am sure someone will elucidate that one for us.
          Can you explain what's causing the apparent global warming? In simple words please.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Can you explain what's causing the apparent global warming? In simple words please.
            4x4's 'innit.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              4x4's 'innit.
              Ahh, I knew I'd get it some day.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                Anything that can be used as an excuse to raise massive amounts in tax and justify large budgets for research to prop up the claim that climate change is man made.

I'm still far from convinced that climate variations are down to anything other than natural planetary and solar effects.

Comment

The CO2 problem in 6 easy steps

nb Natural vs anthropogenic influence on climate

Source: Meehl 2004 http://cawcr.gov.au/bmrc/clfor/cfsta...additivity.pdf
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                    The CO2 problem in 6 easy steps

nb Natural vs anthropogenic influence on climate

Source: Meehl 2004 http://cawcr.gov.au/bmrc/clfor/cfsta...additivity.pdf
                    That's a graph. Simple words please.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X