• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding camera fines.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding camera fines.

Nearly all speed camera prosecutions are based on inadmissible evidence and can therefore be thrown out, according to Motor Cycle News.

Defendants are not given evidence on time and camera scheme organisers are breaching the 1967 Criminal Justice Act by not providing a photo or video evidence of an offence at least seven days before a trial, Motor Cycle News (MCN) said in its latest edition.

The publication's news editor, Tony Carter, said Motor Cycle News has contacted the three biggest areas which run the speed camera partnerships.

Each one said evidence was not automatically submitted to defendants before trials, which meant, according to MCN, that each one has potentially been bringing prosecutions based on inadmissible evidence.

Mr Carter added: "All the partnerships said 'Evidence isn't automatically submitted'. The problem for most people accused of speeding is they won't realise that this fact of law, which our investigation has uncovered, can render the evidence inadmissible in court.

"Our investigation has shown that even some solicitors aren't aware of this point and the camera partnerships are hardly going to tell them or the general public about it.

"People need to be aware of their rights.

"Some camera partnerships are having it all their own way. They say a road user can't have the evidence but fail to tell them they are entitled to see it. They want to have their cake and eat it."

Top traffic lawyer Nick Freeman, who has successfully defended the likes of David Beckham, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Sir Alex Ferguson, said: "Most of the prosecuting authorities go to court without producing the photo, and so there's no admissible evidence as to what the speed is.

"And it's not just a case of serving the photograph. It's got to be submitted at least seven days before the trial."

This is so old news, I am sure I even posted this on the previous board.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I'm not entirely clear what the point is that they are making, but ISTM that the conclusion is bollux.

A court will not rule against the prosecution because the evidence was not submitted to the defence, they will adjourrn the case giving the defence time to read the evidence and respond. AIUI evidence doesn't become inadmissable just because it wasn't submitted in time.

If there's nothing actually wrong with the evidence then the defendant will still be fould guilty at the end of the case.

tim

Comment

Ill tell you what the real problem is...its the bloated system used to collect fines when you are caught speeding!

We went through this "experience" last year when Mrs Mailman got a speeding ticket. We had to send so many ******* forms off just to get the fine paid that it was a complete and utter joke!

I mean honestly, why have a photo licence IF you still have to use a paper licence so a f8cking stamp can be put on it! Here's an idea, have a computerised system that allows for speeding points to be tracked against your licence

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
          Ill tell you what the real problem is...
          Road "safety" = penalising the exceeding of the speed limit, and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            expat - do you know the %-tage of fatal accidents that were classified by the Govt as having happened due to excessive speed?

Comment

expat - do you know the %-tage of fatal accidents that were classified by someone with a clue as having happened due to excessive speed?

Well it is considerably less than what the government says.

But here is the fun part, if you now say to 'someone with a clue' here you go have £50 for each one you say is speeding, the number will climb.

Odd that, innit?
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                I have no problems with penalising those who break "the law" however the bloated system that props up the speeding system is a joke and in all honesty probably loses the government millions of pounds in uncollected fines.

Mailman

Comment

I asked for the evidence and they provided it. Bugger!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Unfortunately yes

Originally posted by AtW
                    expat - do you know the %-tage of fatal accidents that were classified by the Govt as having happened due to excessive speed?
                    However the figures have been regularly disproved, they are based on TRL 421 and 511 not TRL323 which researches the causes. Of course if you can make £50 a time and pretend to be doing something about road casualties then all bets are off.

Next year of course New lie will be planting speed traps everywhere yet failing to police dangerous drivers.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X