• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the solution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I'd say it comes back to the parents to make sure kids behave themselves at school. I don't think you need physical punishment to achieve this, but in some circumstances I can see a case for it.

As for needing it at home, it's a personal choice imo but I don't think you need to physically punish kids to disipline them and some kids quite ovbiously need protection from overzealous parents - so you end up with a blanket situation where it's completely banned which is also too much imo.

Comment

Personally I'd say it comes back to the parents to make sure kids behave themselves at school.
      Unfortunately, many parents don't do this. Chavs spawn more chavs. In many cases, the parents are just as bad as the children.

I don't think you need physical punishment to achieve this, but in some circumstances I can see a case for it.
      With a properly raised children from a good family, I agree 100%. However, what about the mini chavs? These kids aren't raised properly and as a result make the lives of others miserable. In such cases, the only feasible option is to make them afraid to break the rules.

Comment

WS I'd agree with your points, but do you think lifting the ban on smacking would make a blind bit of difference to examples you use?

Comment

but do you think lifting the ban on smacking would make a blind bit of difference to examples you use?
          Would it change their characters and make them better people? No, in that respect I don't think it would make any difference. However, I think the fear of punishment could make them think twice before acting, and if it puts some restraint on their criminal progression then that's a good thing. What we have at the moment is a culture in which young yobbos know there is nothing anyone can do to stop them; this makes them bold and confident, inspiring them on to ever greater crimes.

If fear of punishment means a little yob only calls his teacher names rather than physically attacking them, then that's a positive step.

Comment

The school I went to was the last in the county to stop corporal punishment. A few young lads got the cane but it wasn't used very often because the threat was enough. The following year one of the teachers was stabbed and another beaten up - nuff said!!

Comment

John, what sort of school and area was it?

Comment

Just a normal comp - very good record of results - and in Chelmsford (Essex admittedly but not chavland)

Comment

Lack of any punishment = Lord of the Flies. Which fat kid shall we stone today?

Comment

> Chav kids are frequently beaten by their relatives, but it has no effect because they aren't raised to understand a decent code of behaviour.

I think the main problem with bad chav parents (bad any class parents come to that) is that they apply so-called discipline, whether it's yelling or beating, inconsistently.

If a kid, or a dog for that matter, gets shouted at or walloped on a whim for no apparent reason, they end up not learning the right lessons and learning wrong ones instead, specifically to ignore and discount well-deserved discipline and to imitate this erratic behaviour themselves.

Comment

The problem with chav parents is that they teach through example. The example they set is that it's acceptable to pick fights, drop litter, live on junk food and wear tracksuits in public.

Comment

Working...
                      X