• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the solution"

Collapse

Guest replied
    The problem with chav parents is that they teach through example. The example they set is that it's acceptable to pick fights, drop litter, live on junk food and wear tracksuits in public.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    > Chav kids are frequently beaten by their relatives, but it has no effect because they aren't raised to understand a decent code of behaviour.

I think the main problem with bad chav parents (bad any class parents come to that) is that they apply so-called discipline, whether it's yelling or beating, inconsistently.

If a kid, or a dog for that matter, gets shouted at or walloped on a whim for no apparent reason, they end up not learning the right lessons and learning wrong ones instead, specifically to ignore and discount well-deserved discipline and to imitate this erratic behaviour themselves.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Lack of any punishment = Lord of the Flies. Which fat kid shall we stone today?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Just a normal comp - very good record of results - and in Chelmsford (Essex admittedly but not chavland)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    John, what sort of school and area was it?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The school I went to was the last in the county to stop corporal punishment. A few young lads got the cane but it wasn't used very often because the threat was enough. The following year one of the teachers was stabbed and another beaten up - nuff said!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    but do you think lifting the ban on smacking would make a blind bit of difference to examples you use?
    Would it change their characters and make them better people? No, in that respect I don't think it would make any difference. However, I think the fear of punishment could make them think twice before acting, and if it puts some restraint on their criminal progression then that's a good thing. What we have at the moment is a culture in which young yobbos know there is nothing anyone can do to stop them; this makes them bold and confident, inspiring them on to ever greater crimes.

If fear of punishment means a little yob only calls his teacher names rather than physically attacking them, then that's a positive step.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    WS I'd agree with your points, but do you think lifting the ban on smacking would make a blind bit of difference to examples you use?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Personally I'd say it comes back to the parents to make sure kids behave themselves at school.
    Unfortunately, many parents don't do this. Chavs spawn more chavs. In many cases, the parents are just as bad as the children.

I don't think you need physical punishment to achieve this, but in some circumstances I can see a case for it.
    With a properly raised children from a good family, I agree 100%. However, what about the mini chavs? These kids aren't raised properly and as a result make the lives of others miserable. In such cases, the only feasible option is to make them afraid to break the rules.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Personally I'd say it comes back to the parents to make sure kids behave themselves at school. I don't think you need physical punishment to achieve this, but in some circumstances I can see a case for it.

As for needing it at home, it's a personal choice imo but I don't think you need to physically punish kids to disipline them and some kids quite ovbiously need protection from overzealous parents - so you end up with a blanket situation where it's completely banned which is also too much imo.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    if I remember right t got banned in schools a very very long time ago (Under a tory gov't) and it never worked then either
    That could be true, but what do you replace it with? Children need rules, but what has happened is that teachers (and now parents) have absolutely no way of enforcing those rules. In the class room, the child has all the rights. Just look at the effect; teachers are attacked and mocked by the children. If you allow children to run wild then sooner or later 'lord of the flies' will result.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Snaw I think you have misunderstood - my point was that schools and parents have no means available to them now to discipline a child - smacking was just an example.
    Obviously I have, I would have no arguement against disciplining kids for bad behaviour - I'd just argue that smacking isn't essential, and if I remember right t got banned in schools a very very long time ago (Under a tory gov't) and it never worked then either, all it did was give lunatic old sadists the chance to belt young childrern for next to no reason half the time (Maybe that was just my school).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Snaw I think you have misunderstood - my point was that schools and parents have no means available to them now to discipline a child - smacking was just an example. As far as I can see, these young thugs have no respect for themselves or anyone else and I think that mental and physical discipline would rectify this.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The reason why beatings fail to work in many cases is that the child's background is far from ideal. Chav kids are frequently beaten by their relatives, but it has no effect because they aren't raised to understand a decent code of behaviour.
    Children raised to understand how to behaviour properly (to be polite, show respect, etc.) don't require physical punishment.

The problem is that thanks to the bleeding heart liberals yobbos have so many rights that there is absolutely no punishment. The police are hopeless, and decent people can no longer 'correct' wrong doing for fear of attack (for example, telling someone to pick up the rubbish they dropped on the street).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Fair point on the beating, but I still don't see the link between a couple of young thugs killing an old man and the ban on smacking.

Personally I'm guessing that these kids would be baduns no matter if they got smacked or not for reasons much more complex than whether or not their parents could smack them (Most likely involving the parents, but ultimately down to them).

I'm not against smacking I might add, but for me it's not an essential tool to discipline kids and lack of doesn't lead to this kind of behaviour.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X