• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Favourite Piece of Classical Music

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Danse macabre - Saint-Saëns

A modern piece I like is Lux Eternae from the Requiem For a Dream soundtrack, but it's been used to death in just about everything - Sky Sports, Lord of the Rings trailers, players walking out before football matches, anything dramatic basically.
    That tune from Kill Bill Volume 1* was similarly destroyed when they used it as the introduction music for X-Idol's-Got-Talent acts as they walked out on stage to perform. Not to mention just about everything else.

* I think it's called Battle Without Honour or Humanity, but I might be wrong.
    You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      Bach's Air on the G String if it's the advert I'm thinking of.
      Yep.

Youtube: CDP Classic ads - Hamlet Cigars (1966 - 1997)
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Check out Sibelius violin concerto - third movement really rocks

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          WHS

I like most stuff but the piece that makes all the hair stand up on the back of my neck is O Fortuna (I think thats what it's called) from Carmina Burana.
          You say Car-mee-na, I say Car-mine-a
          You say Bur-ah-na, I say Bur-ay-na

Ah, let's Carl the whole thing Orff.

Did the whole of Carmina Burana 25 years ago or so, in the school choir. Quite fun to sing.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.

Ralph Vaughan Williams
            absolutely sublime that one simply awesome.
            sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Leningrad Symphony - Shostakovich.
              Knowing the history of this while listening to it makes the goosebumps rise.
              Composed during the siege of Leningrad, it's premiere was attended by the starving citizens dressed in what finery they had. Loudspeakers at the front blasted it to the German lines.

As a gesture of defiance, truly magnificent.
              WHS. Knowing the history really does make a difference.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                You say Car-mee-na, I say Car-mine-a
                You say Bur-ah-na, I say Bur-ay-na

Ah, let's Carl the whole thing Orff.

Did the whole of Carmina Burana 25 years ago or so, in the school choir. Quite fun to sing.

I can't sing (well I can, but really badly) but I'd imagine it would be fun!
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

For what it's worth, I think it's unfair that O Fortuna gets all the glory, because it isn't even in my top 5 tunes of Carmina Burana.

Also, if you were fortunate enough to waste thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money learning Latin, the words to "in taberna quando sumus" and "olim lacus colueram" are dead funny

Comment

The Rite Of Spring by Stravinsky was when orchestral music really got down to business.

And John Williams ripped off the start of Part 2 for the desert music in Star Wars.

Comment

Working...
                    X