• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Truly stupid people and how to cope with them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    And another one

Could all stupid folk come back tomorrow please.
    WHS

.35 Watts, can you come back tomorrow when the canesten has worked.

Comment

Yep, and this is their lexicon and I used it in the correct way, as far as they are concerned. I have been here too long, standards are slipping, so thanks for the correction.

They also use the term "bandwidth" to mean workload, and they have "dotted line" reporting rather than a well thought through org chart.
      Oh gawd.

Try this site too.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

And here we have another helpful contribution from the nasty gobtulipe.
        Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        Check out mister "I cannot get a job" ranting to someone about project management.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          .35 Watts
          I pwned you over that yesterday, gobtulipe, so I'm surprised you bring it up today.

Comment

Yep tried this. Being too negative apparently. Tried a few times in different approaches. Even did a powerpoint presentation thinking pictures may speak louder than words.

So picked one and dropped the other two. Then the customer's of the other two compained to the PM and he then acted.
            Why not email the other clients and ask them to wait for a few days until you've finished your first job but state that if it's really high priority that they can speak to your PM who will reprioritise things (in fact you could maybe stress that due to workloads you can't reprioritise things yourself the PM has to), then each time you get given a new prioirty by the PM email them all again requesting those now at the bottom of your pile wait a few days -

it may sound a bit obstinant but you could argue it's good stakeholder management to set expectations- what should happen to the PM is they are constantly hit with fresh requests to reprioritise jobs and they might, just might try and resource the stuff you can't do or push things back, as PM they should be feeling this pain not you and I put up with this sort of thing for far too long to know that if you let them get away with it you'll never put a stop to it
            sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
              Why not email the other clients and ask them to wait for a few days until you've finished your first job but state that if it's really high priority that they can speak to your PM who will reprioritise things (in fact you could maybe stress that due to workloads you can't reprioritise things yourself the PM has to), then each time you get given a new prioirty by the PM email them all again requesting those now at the bottom of your pile wait a few days -

it may sound a bit obstinant but you could argue it's good stakeholder management to set expectations- what should happen to the PM is they are constantly hit with fresh requests to reprioritise jobs and they might, just might try and resource the stuff you can't do or push things back, as PM they should be feeling this pain not you and I put up with this sort of thing for far too long to know that if you let them get away with it you'll never put a stop to it
              It sounds over simplistic. If each critical path was a week I'm sure with working long hours and some professional bulltulip I could scrape through somehow. Each piece is 2 months long, so some poor unfortunate has to wait 6 months, they knew this and didn't want to be the customer holding the short straw.

At least it's nice to be popular.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Your PM is a tit.

He/she needs to see that he has you doing 3 jobs at once, then work out with you which ones are going to be done and when and the deliver back to the client.

If PM is not strong enought to cope with saying no to someone they are in the wrong job...

Having said that I imagine the PM's manager is probably saying "I want them all done now" in that usual management I have no ferking idea what I am doing way but I assume if I stamp my feet for long enough I will get what I want.

But then I suppose PM managers manager is saying the same thing.

There will probably be some poor guy at the top wondering why all the projects are being delivered late and why no one is telling him there is a problem cos he has a potload of cash for extra resources if needed!

eeee its tough at the top...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Your PM is a tit.

other stuff I missed cos I'd already read what I wanted to

Bingo! And I have worked for some really bad PM's in my time so quite frankly couldn't give a flying ****. And it's you lot on here that made me this way.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Your PM is a tit.
                    ... some other stuff ....
                    WHS, but I've highlighted the important bit.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                      WHS, but I've highlighted the important bit.
                      Oooh great minds eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X