• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good luck for tomorrow, NickFitz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck today NF.

BTW I'm only about 4 miles from your HQ

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
      Good luck today NF.

BTW I'm only about 4 miles from your HQ
      Oooh, closer than me then. 12 miles here

Any advance on 4 miles?

Anyone able to take a photo and post it? ( apart from Nick of course ).

Not that we are stalking you or anything
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Well, that was fun, in an odd sort of way

I knew that the first week would be on a trial basis, as they prefer to see people actually do stuff rather than just do interview puzzles. I assumed that, as they were hiring a webdev, the stuff they would ask me to do would be along the lines of web development.

Instead, I was given a back-of-an-envelope spec for a Windows desktop .NET application. It involves a Windows Forms GUI, Data Binding, Active Directory, some kind of logging, and a few other bits and bobs, to be written in C#. Bear in mind that I haven't done any C# or .NET since about 2005, and then only ASP.NET. Oh, and I was to work in Visual Studio 2008, which I've never used before (except the cut-down freeby web dev edition).

Still, by the end of the day I'd got the main components of it working, so with a bit of luck I can get it finished off tomorrow

In addition, as "You have experience of giving training" (which I do, twenty-six years ago) they'd like me to prepare a talk ("just an hour or two") to explain the fundamental principles of XSLT to those of the other devs who aren't too familiar with it. I'm very experienced with XSLT, but given that I have a hard time properly explaining some of the more recondite aspects of it to myself, that promises to be an interesting couple of hours

Ah well, I suspect that if I manage to get through this lot with my sanity and my blood pressure intact, it should mean I've passed the trial. If they'd told me it was to be a week's ordeal, I would have had a better idea of what I was in for

Comment

good man
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Well, that was fun, in an odd sort of way

Too busy to investigate the totty & pies then?
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Too busy to investigate the totty & pies then?
              Loads of top totty milling around the place, though virtually none in the place they keep us

Pies don't seem to be prominent, but I had an extremely nice braised lamb shank in a red wine jus with roast spuds for about three quid at lunchtime

The canteen only does breakfast between 8 and 8:55, so I'll have to get in early if I'm to sample that.

Comment

Loads of top totty milling around the place, though virtually none in the place they keep us

Pies don't seem to be prominent, but I had an extremely nice braised lamb shank in a red wine jus with roast spuds for about three quid at lunchtime

The canteen only does breakfast between 8 and 8:55, so I'll have to get in early if I'm to sample that.
                Stopping for a pint on the way home though right?
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Stopping for a pint on the way home though right?
                  Nope, I am home

I was quite surprised - despite it being the rush hour, it only took twenty minutes from desk to armchair

Comment

Nope, I am home

I was quite surprised - despite it being the rush hour, it only took twenty minutes from desk to armchair

You're stopping off for a pint on the way home tomorrow though, right?
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Most excellent. My VooDooFlux Works Canteen Handback clearly states that a full roast dinner is a perfectly acceptable alternative to pork pie, lasagne & chips for lunch.

And a cooked breakfast too? Superb.

I am home

Oh, superlative.

So, all the benefits of hotel living ... but living at home.

Will you be able to adjust to a diurnal lifestyle?
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X