• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harsh but educational

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    That's how Gary Glitter got into trouble.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RichardCranium again.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      Back in the days, I recall my father punished my big sister for continually grassing me up every time I broke something. Usually she was daddy's girl, and I would end up being yelled at or receiving a red backside if it was really bad, but this time he just surprised us.

Looking back now, it was actually an important lesson for adult life and the 'real world'. Nobody likes a grass....

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Been having some trouble with SY03. Stropping off, being mouthy, ignoring what he is told, being sullen. So this morning when he stood on the smallest of our "nest of tables" to try and reach something, broke it, he hid it back in the nest of tables.

SY04 relished in coming to tell us what SY03 had done, being the typical pesky little brother.

I went to investigate and sure enough the table was busted beyond economical repair. SY02 and I discussed what to do, and I had an idea.

SY03 and I dismantled the table, examined the broken pieces, drew a diagram with measurements of the broken side. Then we went to B&Q with out cutting list and HE asked (very shyly) if the nice man at the timber saw could cut some pieces of wood to match our specification. I explained what we were doing, and why. Bless him he cut all the pieces and only charged SY03 50p.

We came home, reclaimed the dowels from the broken piece of furniture and drilled dowel holes in the new pieces. Bit of wood glue and the table is repaired.

Granted I am bloody awful at carpentry and the end result is far from pleasing, but SY03 will not stand on a table and break it again. Plus he understood the lengths we had to go to, for a moment of bad judgement. He also learned a lot about measuring, marking and drilling.

And in the very end he was sorry for what he had done, but also proud of what we had achieved, and for the first time experienced that "standing back and looking at what we had achieved" experience.

So, should I have just bought a new table and banned him from watching telly? I feel contented this was a pretty nifty piece of parenting.

I'm somewhat annoyed by this post.

Tone
        Last edited by Tingles; 30 January 2011, 18:08. Reason: Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
          I'm somewhat annoyed by this post.

Bing
          Job done then

Doo-whap-do-whap-de-whap-de-whap

Comment

Obedient and well behaved children is my major desire.
            <snigger>

I love your optimism.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Been having some trouble with SY03. Stropping off, being mouthy, ignoring what he is told, being sullen. So this morning when he stood on the smallest of our "nest of tables" to try and reach something, broke it, he hid it back in the nest of tables.

SY04 relished in coming to tell us what SY03 had done, being the typical pesky little brother.

I went to investigate and sure enough the table was busted beyond economical repair. SY02 and I discussed what to do, and I had an idea.

SY03 and I dismantled the table, examined the broken pieces, drew a diagram with measurements of the broken side. Then we went to B&Q with out cutting list and HE asked (very shyly) if the nice man at the timber saw could cut some pieces of wood to match our specification. I explained what we were doing, and why. Bless him he cut all the pieces and only charged SY03 50p.

We came home, reclaimed the dowels from the broken piece of furniture and drilled dowel holes in the new pieces. Bit of wood glue and the table is repaired.

Granted I am bloody awful at carpentry and the end result is far from pleasing, but SY03 will not stand on a table and break it again. Plus he understood the lengths we had to go to, for a moment of bad judgement. He also learned a lot about measuring, marking and drilling.

And in the very end he was sorry for what he had done, but also proud of what we had achieved, and for the first time experienced that "standing back and looking at what we had achieved" experience.

So, should I have just bought a new table and banned him from watching telly? I feel contented this was a pretty nifty piece of parenting.

I'm calling social services about this post.

Bing!

Comment

Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
                I'm calling social services about this post.

Bing!
                Crikey another sockie

Comment

Crikey another sockie
                  Outing yourself is not big and it's not clever.

HTH
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    I may be a closet member of the comfy shoes brigage, but outing yourself is not big and it's not clever.

HTH
                    OK sorry.

Comment

I have 3 kids. The youngest is now 13. None of them have ever broken the furniture.

HTH.

Comment

Working...
                      X