• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Side Effects - or rather, Backside Effects

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Anybody else here on stuff like beta blockers, statins, blood thinners, ACE inhibitors, and all that malarkey?

They seem to be playing merry hell with my bowels, usually when I least expect it. Is that standard procedure? Does it become less unpredictable over time? Can anybody recommend a good dry cleaner? (I suspect I might need one soon if things carry on like this.)

I would ask a medical professional, but I prefer to leave them to deal with those who have serious problems. Therefore, the floor is open to the medical wisdom of CUK
    That last crack was probably tongue in cheek, but in case not ..

Come on!! You make it sound like you're in an army field hospital, with a slightly grazed ear that may need a plaster, while a few harrassed sleep-deprived medics are struggling to treat hordes of blood-soaked guys missing limbs.

GPs spend most of their time dealing with trivial problems, and they're well paid (out of our taxes!). In any case, problems with beta blockers might not be so trivial!

Sounds like you might have raised potassium levels AKA hyperkalemia. A lot of fruits and vegetables are high in potassium by the way, and one can have too much of a good thing.

But it's impossible to give anything like a definite answer without knowing what pills you are taking and your diet (or of course being a professional )

Although suddenly stopping taking beta blockers, or I suppose varying the dose at all without consulting your doctor, isn't a good idea, there are natural beta blockers/ you could consider.

1. Passionflower: Passion flower is a very strong and efficient relaxant. It has been proven medically to be equal in effectiveness to many anxiety medications and can be found in capsule and tincture form in most health stores.

2. Chamomile tea: Chamomile tea is a relaxant that has been used all over the world throughout history. One cup everyday can do much to keep our blood pressure under control. Chamomile is effective as long as it is fresh, so care must be taken when buying it.

3. Pomegranate juice: Pomegranate juice is an antioxidant, and is also a natural remedy for heart conditions. Although not very effective on its own, supplemented with other herbal or chemical medication, it can do wonders.
    Also, if you drink a lot of coffee you could try switching to tea as that is a diuretic, and maybe try a pinch of sodium bicarbonate every now and then, as that reduces potassium levels.

As a miscellaneous footnote, not particularly related to the above, there's an interesting page on interactions between remedies and drugs here.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

There are those who argue for a return of National Service in the expectation that a stint in the Army will make men from boys, put the troublesome onto the path of the straight and narrow and generally 'sort one out'.
      Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Just remember Nick, your bum has declared war on you, and in a war, things become expendable. You carry about with you lots of things that you can, er, 'use', if push comes to shove.

socks
      underrods
      vest
      recipts in pockets
      fingers (if there is a sink nearby)
      bottoms of shoes
      five pound notes
      turn coat inside out and use sleeves(do NOT wear coat afterwards)
      bog roll

good luck with the bum thing
      EO, you've never really recovered from your time in the Forces, have you?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Anybody else here on stuff like beta blockers, statins, blood thinners, ACE inhibitors, and all that malarkey?

They seem to be playing merry hell with my bowels, usually when I least expect it. Is that standard procedure? Does it become less unpredictable over time? Can anybody recommend a good dry cleaner? (I suspect I might need one soon if things carry on like this.)

I would ask a medical professional, but I prefer to leave them to deal with those who have serious problems. Therefore, the floor is open to the medical wisdom of CUK
        Hey there TubGirl

One bit of advice for a man in your predicament.

Never trust a fart. They will only betray you.

HTH
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Nick,

I've got no idea what you're on. I'm on all sorts of stuff which all have pretty tulip side effects.

To combat the gastric saide effects and ensure I don't spend all day in the dry cleaners I was prescribed a proton pump inhibitor, specifically Omeprazole. Works for me. It's commonly used to combat gastric side effects, but for quite a few people it doesn't work. Of course it has its own side effects in some users which can be troublesome.

Omeprazole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          A wonderful drug, I used to get fist-clenching pain gastro problems at night, this has sorted it out although I need to lose more weight as gastro problems are normally weight related.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            There are those who argue for a return of National Service in the expectation that a stint in the Army will make men from boys, put the troublesome onto the path of the straight and narrow and generally 'sort one out'.EO, you've never really recovered from your time in the Forces, have you?
            'adapt, survive and keep your bum clean' - Field Marshall Montgomery 1944

'a clean nipsy in bowel loosening moments, is what differentiates us from the Hun' - Winston Churchill 1941

'I always found the Australian notes to have superior absorbability' - EO 2009

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

'a clean nipsy in bowel loosening moments, is what differentiates us from the Hun' - Winston Churchill 1941

Always use quality loo roll to avoid a "hull breach". - Queen Mum 1999

Comment

A clove of garlic every day will solve ALL your problems.

I remember back in 1984, I had a particularly bad cold. Two weeks of taking garlic cloves and amazingly my cold had gone.

If thats not evidence enough, In 1992, whilst sitting my university finals, I was suffering from particularly bad exam stress. I remembered the garlic wonder cure and started taking it again. Roll forward two months and hey presto, my exam stress had completely disappeared.

Comment

Tae avoid a fright, keep the chod bin in sight - Rabbie Burns 1790

Comment

Dennis, cancel ones engagements, one has such a bad case of the Brads I will surely be King for the day. - Margaret Thatcher 1981

Comment

Working...
                      X