• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just another fckin rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Apple - Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard

I've had mine running 467 days and counting without a failure yet. knob.

I used to have a couple on 700+ days but I rebuilt then recently with Squeeze which required a reboot. Current longest is:

ardesco@foo:~$ uptime
    23:13:28 up 395 days, 6:25, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.36, 0.59
    ardesco@foo:~$

although I need to upgrade and rebuild that at some point too. Don't need OSX for a stable server

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Hot Swap San. Wow, that was a girl with a deep otter's pocket.
      Yeah, I remember her. She was a goer.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Cough. That's what we I redundancy. The busted one goes in the bin and a replacement is up and running in a few minutes. Hot swappable I believe is the term.
        They have hot-swap on Macs now? Don't tell me, Apple "invented" it a year or two back?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Could all this just not have been solved by having a raid. Even cheap ass on the server board intel raid?

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            Don't need OSX for a stable server
            Agree. Anything Linux does the job, does not need a fancy GUI.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              They have hot-swap on Macs now? Don't tell me, Apple "invented" it a year or two back?
              Why it even looks pretty... 7 years old I think.

Apple (United Kingdom) - Xserve
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Hot swap SAN. Wow that's a project with deep pockets.
                A downed server, loss of service far out ways the cost of replacing the server, even after an hour of downtime.

You you want to charge big bucks in the years ahead? Don't bother with developing new technologies nobody has the money to invest or develop. Instead make what you have already more reliable; my customers cannot get enough of it.

Comment

Working...
                X