• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just another fckin rant"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Hot swap SAN. Wow that's a project with deep pockets.
    A downed server, loss of service far out ways the cost of replacing the server, even after an hour of downtime.

You you want to charge big bucks in the years ahead? Don't bother with developing new technologies nobody has the money to invest or develop. Instead make what you have already more reliable; my customers cannot get enough of it.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They have hot-swap on Macs now? Don't tell me, Apple "invented" it a year or two back?
    Why it even looks pretty... 7 years old I think.

Apple (United Kingdom) - Xserve

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Don't need OSX for a stable server
    Agree. Anything Linux does the job, does not need a fancy GUI.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Could all this just not have been solved by having a raid. Even cheap ass on the server board intel raid?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Cough. That's what we I redundancy. The busted one goes in the bin and a replacement is up and running in a few minutes. Hot swappable I believe is the term.
    They have hot-swap on Macs now? Don't tell me, Apple "invented" it a year or two back?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Hot Swap San. Wow, that was a girl with a deep otter's pocket.
    Yeah, I remember her. She was a goer.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Apple - Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard

I've had mine running 467 days and counting without a failure yet. knob.

I used to have a couple on 700+ days but I rebuilt then recently with Squeeze which required a reboot. Current longest is:

ardesco@foo:~$ uptime
    23:13:28 up 395 days, 6:25, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.36, 0.59
    ardesco@foo:~$

although I need to upgrade and rebuild that at some point too. Don't need OSX for a stable server

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Cough. That's what we I redundancy. The busted one goes in the bin and a replacement is up and running in a few minutes. Hot swappable I believe is the term.
    Hot swap SAN. Wow that's a project with deep pockets.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    It'll be funny when it does have to reboot and he hasn't a clue how to.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    +1

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Isn't there an app for that?
    I think you're supposed to just gaze at the mighty apple whilst touching yourself

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Oh, are you going to have a w4nk ?
    Isn't there an app for that?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Boot?!

467 days it was switched on, what's the booting for?

Oh dear, someone get me a tissue..
    Ah, it's existed in some virtual world and never had to be switched on? The other three Linux servers have been running for three years plus without a reboot, this was supposed to be a new box so needed testing including a reboot to make sure fstab and other aspects were working properly but you don't need to test robustness right?

Another fckwit living in a fantasy world.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Oh dear, someone get me a tissue..
    Oh, are you going to have a w4nk ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X