• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I really good or are permies really tulipe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Or maybe the CUK congregation's intellectual brilliance rubbed off on me in some subconscious fashion.

I don't understand what I've done right, but I'll send an invoice; how many hours shoud I bill them for?
    Sooo...

Someone else did the subconcious consultancy work and knowledge transfer
    You followed it but didn't understand it
    Now your taking all the credit

I think I work for you at my current client.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Sooo...

Someone else did the subconcious consultancy work and knowledge transfer
      You followed it but didn't understand it
      Now your taking all the credit

I think I work for you at my current client.

cash
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I have to say that the many contractors I met on that project we're worse than the permie members of staff in the 3rd line support team I worked in. I say this because we had to spend a lot of time helping them sort out problems they had created whilst on site and often had to go back and fix things when parts of the project were forcefully handed over to us.
        Not saying there aren't carp contractors, but bear in mind that even good contractors may find it hard to show their aptitudes to best advantage when having to deal with a bafflingly and needlessly complicated and messy compost heap to which permies may have reduced the state of a project! In fact, in that situation, the better the contractor the harder they find it to tolerate a ropey design and poor code they can't redo from scratch!

Also, long-time permies may have been on the project for years and "grown up" with it, whereas contractors have to pick it up in a month or two.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Not saying there aren't carp contractors, but bear in mind that even good contractors may find it hard to show their aptitudes to best advantage when having to deal with a bafflingly and needlessly complicated and messy compost heap to which permies may have reduced the state of a project! In fact, in that situation, the better the contractor the harder they find it to tolerate a ropey design and poor code they can't redo from scratch!

Also, long-time permies may have been on the project for years and "grown up" with it, whereas contractors have to pick it up in a month or two.
          I think we're on about different project types here. This was a hardware and OS rollout to 28 sites, so the contractors needed to physically install the servers, install a domain with a load of member servers and a Citrix farm - it was a blank canvas so nothing bespoke for them to need to learn. They had weeks to do this AND work instructions to follow, plus they could feed back up the chain to get these WI's changed if they felt a change was needed. To make matters worse for The Contractor, the Project Managers were contractors too, and Mr F*ckup was a regular visitor with hand overs being delayed and incomplete documentation being the norm.

I think the general perception from the permies was that the contractors would just do the minimum to get their work signed off before wheel spinning out the carpark at 5pm. It was thought that permies would have done a better job as they would be stuck supporting the system after implementation so it would be in their interest, the contractors only had their professionalism to motivate them to do a good job....

Comment

Originally posted by DanielAnthony View Post
            I think we're on about different project types here. This was a hardware and OS rollout to 28 sites, so the contractors needed to physically install the servers, install a domain with a load of member servers and a Citrix farm - it was a blank canvas so nothing bespoke for them to need to learn. They had weeks to do this AND work instructions to follow, plus they could feed back up the chain to get these WI's changed if they felt a change was needed. To make matters worse for The Contractor, the Project Managers were contractors too, and Mr F*ckup was a regular visitor with hand overs being delayed and incomplete documentation being the norm.

I think the general perception from the permies was that the contractors would just do the minimum to get their work signed off before wheel spinning out the carpark at 5pm. It was thought that permies would have done a better job as they would be stuck supporting the system after implementation so it would be in their interest, the contractors only had their professionalism to motivate them to do a good job....
            Never moan. Always invoice. Best of luck. You'll do just fine.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I don't understand what I've done right, but I'll send an invoice; how many hours shoud I bill them for?
              I had one contract where I used to bill hours based on how long a mere mortal would have taken to do the work, rather than how long it took me. I didn't think it fair that an idiot should be paid more than me for doing the same work

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                I had one contract where I used to bill hours based on how long a mere mortal would have taken to do the work, rather than how long it took me. I didn't think it fair that an idiot should be paid more than me for doing the same work
                I do that. I get agreement with the client on how many days it should take. On the whole they base it on the permies or the last crap contractor they had.

I can then double bubble.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Perhaps we might make a hypothesis that companies who hire contractors tend to have worse permies than those who do not. And that's why they need the contractors...
                  That has been the theory I have had for the past few years: decent organisations don't get themselves in the position where they need to edit: routinely take on contractors.

At least, that's the reason I tell myself why every ClientCo I have had has been utter tulipe.
                  Last edited by RichardCranium; 27 January 2011, 09:10. Reason: I have highlighted a significant word
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    That has been the theory I have had for the past few years: decent organisations don't get themselves in the position where they need to routinely take on contractors.

That's the reason I tell myself why every ClientCo I have had has been utter tulipe.
                    That's not the case. I know plenty of companies that pitch for projects/work and bring contractors in as resource purely to deliver. The permies maintain & manage the resulting systems/processes but the build is performed by contractors.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      That's not the case. I know plenty of companies that pitch for projects/work and bring contractors in as resource purely to deliver. The permies maintain & manage the resulting systems/processes but the build is performed by contractors.
                      The other aspect is that some companies find themselves short staffed and only contractors are available. Although typically I try and avoid those sort of contracts as they are a bit "bum on seat"
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X