• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Big Society

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    All the government wants is charities to do more stuff without giving them the extra money to do it, and cutting the money they already have.
    Or in other words, the government is trying to make our taxes go further. Shame on them.

I know it's cobblers (I'm quite suprised to learn they have an office - what do they do?), but I agree with cutting down the role of the state, which is the point. Labour are trying to claim the "Big society" mantle too, but to them a "big society" is one where the state does everything.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      The fact that he's rich doesn't make the truth of the statement any less.
      His obligation is to pay his taxes correctly and keep to the law of the land.
      As for "trashing" public services, what's your solution to the Labour legacy?
      First up, the current global financial cock-up is not a 'Labour legacy' it's a legacy brought about by greedy, predominantly American, banks.

Whilst not denying that Labour were wasteful handing out millions of public sector money to their chums at the big consulting firms, the Tories are using the current situation as an excuse to run riot with their more hateful policies of slashing spending on health, education and social welfare.
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I like the idea, decentralisation of responsibility, empowerment of the population to take charge of local services which are often supplied at a extremely low standard by the council.

IT is just a shame the idea will be lost on this Country where people expect the government to provide a standard of care without ever giving something back. Some of you leftist dreamers should spend some time down at the 'front line services' and see how useless large sections of this country have become.

Comment

Sceptical. I suppose it hinges largely on what this national citizen service is. There are a lot of people who have time for voluntary work and would be interested it, it's just that it is all such a damn hastle getting involved. Visiting umpteen office for leaflets, applying to different organisations, providing references & CRB check details over an over again, doing the similar tests (like bus driving) over and over.

If it only had a central body that did all this once more might bother. If it only works in more affluent areas it could save money.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I like the idea, decentralisation of responsibility, empowerment of the population to take charge of local services which are often supplied at a extremely low standard by the council.

IT is just a shame the idea will be lost on this Country where people expect the government to provide a standard of care without ever giving something back. Some of you leftist dreamers should spend some time down at the 'front line services' and see how useless large sections of this country have become.
            WHS.

Comment

The fact that he's rich doesn't make the truth of the statement any less.
              His obligation is to pay his taxes correctly and keep to the law of the land.
              The fact that he is rich gives him an obligation to defend his class interest and minimise his tax burden through legislation.

As for "trashing" public services, what's your solution to the Labour legacy?
              Democratic accountability for service provision, by changing from a representative democracy to one with delegates who can be instantly recalled an replaced, and whose job is to present the views of their constituents. Would need to be combined by the removal of media ownership from the capitalist class and for its ownership to be democratised.

However, none of that will happen, so we may as well just plan a big party for when Mrs T pops her clogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Easy for a man whose family is reckoned to be worth £35 million to say (assuming it's 'Dave'). Presumably his obligation is to make sure he and his mates keep as much of their loot as possible by trashing public services.
                My family is worth only about 30p. Let me try it...

...no it was easy for me to say as well. Anyone else care to give it a go?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  However, none of that will happen, so we may as well just plan a big party for when Mrs T pops her clogs.
                  Why plan a party?
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    My family is worth only about 30p. Let me try it...

...no it was easy for me to say as well. Anyone else care to give it a go?
                    Then it is different coming from you. The context of words matter, particularly when looking at the wealth and power of the speaker and the impact that the words have on his life.

Comment

Would need to be combined by the removal of media ownership from the capitalist class and for its ownership to be democratised.
                      Gor! You are an old lefty! I'm really amazed, given history, that anyone still believes that sort of thing. That was Lenin's ideal and look what happened. Where has communism been anything but a repressive dictatorship in practice? Those who are ambitious and able will always rise to the top and control society, the only difference under communism is that they become part of the state. Unlike in a capitalist society that state is the only power in the land, there are no independent checks or sanctions.

I agree unfettered capitalism is no better, we need a free market with strong state regulations. Like the ones the government should have had on the banks.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X