• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is your ideal career?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I wouldn't pay someone to be Mr Boasty McSmugs.
    I can't boast with my tongue sticking out like that.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      I can't boast with my tongue sticking out like that.
      Deal. Let's get cracking on working our way through the urban dictionary.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

When you find out what I'm good at and just how good I am you'll be paying me for it.
        Well its not testing
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Oh dear. A 'personality profile test'.

Another Heap of Wank™.

Fine for children and idiots. Utterly and completely useless for the self-aware, the soft-skilled, polymaths and anyone else with any interest in self-development.

Good for putting people in little, inappropriate boxes and telling said caged pet that this is the only world they are fit for. I.e. permies.

For some years, whenever presented with a personality profile test (usually just 10 f**king questions) I inform the HR tart in front of me that I would not work for any organisation that uses such pathetic and brainless selection criteria.

FFS, we're human. We can hunt, we can nurture. We can kill, we can heal. We can be cruel, we can rescue. We can invent, create, build and destroy. We can all cook, clean, think, communicate, reproduce, travel, imagine, sit, stand, paint, sing, laugh, cry.

We can all do anything to varying degrees. We are, by far, the most flexible and adaptable species on Earth.

Reject profiling. It is a self-imposed cell.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Oh dear. A 'personality profile test'.

Another Heap of Wank™.

Fine for children and idiots. Utterly and completely useless for the self-aware, the soft-skilled, polymaths and anyone else with any interest in self-development.

Good for putting people in little, inappropriate boxes and telling said caged pet that this is the only world they are fit for. I.e. permies.

For some years, whenever presented with a personality profile test (usually just 10 f**king questions) I inform the HR tart in front of me that I would not work for any organisation that uses such pathetic and brainless selection criteria.

FFS, we're human. We can hunt, we can nurture. We can kill, we can heal. We can be cruel, we can rescue. We can invent, create, build and destroy. We can all cook, clean, think, communicate, reproduce, travel, imagine, sit, stand, paint, sing, laugh, cry.

We can all do anything to varying degrees. We are, by far, the most flexible and adaptable species on Earth.

Reject profiling. It is a self-imposed cell.
            So what did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              So what did you get?
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

some long winded, uninteresting ranty style guff from CUK's own village idiot

Still benched huh!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  So what did you get?
                  At a guess FAIL

(it will be INTJ as he shows all the traits of being that).

Comment

Oh dear.
                    Yep. I always wondered what kind of terrible accident, nurtured, genetic or otherwise, would lead someone to become an 'HR Manager' or a 'careers advisor', and consider them the least suitable people to advise me on what to do with my life.

And of course I am not simply a tester. My 'career' does not define my life or my character.

I am a technologist, an entrepreneur, a scientist, an adventurer, an athlete, an (piss)artist, a hunter, a gastronome, a romantic and a lover of life. Software testing is just a convenient way to bring in some money to do all the stuff that means so much more to me.
                    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 14 January 2011, 14:22.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yep. I always wondered what kind of terrible accident, nurtured, genetic or otherwise, would lead someone to become an 'HR Manager' or a 'careers advisor', and consider them the least suitable people to advise me on what to do with my life.
                      Isn't the rule:

Those that can do. Those that can't teach. Those that can't teach consult.

Comment

Working...
                      X