• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance - anyone had problems with company disputing damage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    My van was rear ended while parked. As we are on a steep hill it was in reverse gear with the wheel on full lock. It was fine when I drove it the previous day but when I eventually managed to start it afterwards there was a cloud of white smoke as the alternator belt burnt out (I think, it's not charging now anyway) and the steering wheel wouldn't move.

The company are now saying these cannot be connected to a rear end collision, which is rather implying I am fraudulently claiming for pre-existing faults. Seem to be a few others on net in similar position. Any tips for dealing with the ***?
    I doubt the white smoke was from the alternator belt (white smoke is usually water). It's possible your steering lock may have broken I suppose but that wont cause white smoke. Perhaps the shunt dislodged the exhaust at the manifold and its fecked the cylinder head gasket.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I did actually think it was water to start with as there was no smell at all but it was far too immediate to be from the exhaust, all of it came from the aperture in the alternator casing and the battery wasn't charging.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It crashed into your son's in front?

so there is some front end damage however minor? Pushed something back into the alternator and caused it to seize? I think the steering mechanism is actually quite delicate on modern cars thinner metal, cost cutting you see.

AA/RAC or take it to a reputable garage for an assessment.

Cheeky b's these insurance chappies.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X