• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global warming. Or not.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global warming. Or not.

It's my turn to start one of these global warming threads!

Global warming is cobblers: "UK's coldest December since records began" link.

Global warming is for real: "2010 was one of the hottest years on record" link.

Hey, both those links were the same!

Global warming is cobblers: "once this cluster of cold winters has finished, we will have another lengthy run of mild and rainy ones, and if we spend piles of cash on snowploughs and de-icing equipment, we may come to regret it" link. [Vice President Royal Meteorological Society]

Global warming is for real: "The UK's harsh weather was caused by anomalously high air pressure that blocked mild westerly winds" link. [BBC News Environment Correspondent]

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Why bother your little brain over it? Try and get a job instead - one more suited to your intellectual capacity.

HTH
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Global warming is irrelevant. It's happened in the past it'll probably happen in the future. Is our civilisation capable of controlling it? I think more likely not than can.

What is important is our ability to adapt and survive to the changing conditions. This should be our focus. End of.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Why bother your little brain over it? Try and get a job instead - one more suited to your intellectual capacity.

HTH
        One of the main problems we have is that we cannot conduct experiments on the earth, its just too big and its the only one we have.

luckily, SasGoru here has a brain (well, head at least) the size of a planet, so lets go over to planet Sas, and ask him a few questions

'SasGoru, do you ever suffer from voodoo science, inconvenient truths and rising senile levels ?'

secondly

'Is it true that you fell asleep in the haidressers mumbling about HADCRUT3, and they shaved all your hair off before you woke up ?'

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

HTH

Is that really you, sas, or is it a script that autoresponds to any "weather condition therefore trend" threads?
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Is that really you, sas, or is it a script that autoresponds to any "weather condition therefore trend" threads?
            got it covered RC.

a bot would come back to me with some witty repartee. SasGoru will merely call me a cretin then bore the living teats off me

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Years ago I studied economics. It didnt take long for me to realise that despite all the maths and econometrics, it was basically a religion. Opposing entrenched belief systems.
              they spent 5% of the time making forecasts, then the rest of the time explaining what had actually happened, why their forecasts had been the right ones, and how they would get it right next time.

you just cant argue with people like that. so dont bother trying.

CAGW has fallen into the same paradigm. There are too many vested interests, reputations and emotion now to find our way to the truth. We just have to limit the madness and wait for time to reveal the truth

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Years ago I studied economics. It didnt take long for me to realise that despite all the maths and econometrics, it was basically a religion. Opposing entrenched belief systems.
                they spent 5% of the time making forecasts, then the rest of the time explaining what had actually happened, why their forecasts had been the right ones, and how they would get it right next time.
                The difference with religion being that, unfortunately, the spiritual leaders of economics actually wield real power.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

This article sums it all up really:

The icy grip of the politics of fear | spiked
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

HTH
                    "This reveals the stinging snobbery at the heart of the politics of global warming. Because what we have here is an updated version of the elitist idea that the better classes have access to a profound and complicated truth that the rest of us cannot grasp. Where we have merely sensory reactions (experience), they have reason and analysis (knowledge). Our critical reaction to the snow actually revealed our failure to understand The Truth, as unveiled by The Science, rather than revealing their wrongheadedness in predicting an ‘end to snow’. We are ‘simple’, they are ‘reasoned’. In 2011, we should take everything that is said by this new doom-mongering expert caste with a large pinch of salt – and then spread that salt on the snow which they claimed had disappeared from our lives."

which is exactly how sasguru makes his argument
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X