• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a new car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    yeah MP, i looking at you, suffer baby.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

petrol, with cruise control

yeahhh, cruise control. my f@nny magnet has keroose controllll

swagger swagger

In practice, cruise control is excellent for motorway stretches infested with speed cameras.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        In practice, cruise control is excellent for motorway stretches infested with speed cameras.
        i was actually taking the mick out myself a bit. i think its useless in this country.

great in Oz or the USA or Canada, but i probbly will never ever use it here

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

i was actually taking the mick out myself a bit. i think its useless in this country.

I knew you were taking the Mick.

But when I got my first cruise control car in Switzerland I thought cruise control would come in handy for catching cross channel ferries, and little more. In practice it is very good for long stretches of motorway roadworks with a lower than normal speed limit and cameras to back that up.

Comment

I use it here all the time. Works best at night on motorways. No way you could use it during a busy day. Saves my wonky ankle I tell ya.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

In practice it is very good for long stretches of motorway roadworks with a lower than normal speed limit and cameras to back that up.
              WHS. I found setting it at 49 mph on the M1 by Nottingham when they mangled junction 23-28 a couple of years back probably saved me my licence.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Went along at the weekend to give the SLS a thorough going over, even dressed nearly respectable, and sad to say there is around an 80% chance of not buying it. The car and practically everything is great, just the type of car for cruising the autobahn and doing long trips in but there were 2 points which make it pretty impractical:

- the gullwing doors. Apparently they only add around 39cm to the width of the car but that is still too much for when you're in a carpark. I have an underground carpark and the space I have is next to a wall and an old boy parks next me, not very well, which means that there is no way I would be able to get in and out of the car once parked. As it is the car is pretty wide which means that most carparks would be out of the question as well (unless I parked in disabled or mother and children spaces.)

- the second big problem is...the gullwing doors. Once sat in the car I couldn't reach up to shut them. I need to either grow a couple of inches or tie a piece of string to the door to pull it down! Could be embarrassing that, imagine getting in and then asking a passer-by to give the door a bit of a push down so you can grab the handle

Apart from the above there were a couple of other very minor points but its still not 100% dead but we're going to have a look at some other alternatives...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Went along at the weekend to give the SLS a thorough going over, even dressed nearly respectable, and sad to say there is around an 80% chance of not buying it. The car and practically everything is great, just the type of car for cruising the autobahn and doing long trips in but there were 2 points which make it pretty impractical:

- the gullwing doors. Apparently they only add around 39cm to the width of the car but that is still too much for when you're in a carpark. I have an underground carpark and the space I have is next to a wall and an old boy parks next me, not very well, which means that there is no way I would be able to get in and out of the car once parked. As it is the car is pretty wide which means that most carparks would be out of the question as well (unless I parked in disabled or mother and children spaces.)

- the second big problem is...the gullwing doors. Once sat in the car I couldn't reach up to shut them. I need to either grow a couple of inches or tie a piece of string to the door to pull it down! Could be embarrassing that, imagine getting in and then asking a passer-by to give the door a bit of a push down so you can grab the handle

Apart from the above there were a couple of other very minor points but its still not 100% dead but we're going to have a look at some other alternatives...
                  But they are good for drive by shootings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woKnnSjz5lg
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    I saw a nice door job on a converted Golf earlier this year. The doors swung directly up and forwards rather than out, pivoting around the front bottom of the door, and were hydraulically powered. It would fit in a normal parking space as long as there was the ceiling room.

Useless trivia #253:
                    No other car manufacturer can make a production car with gull wing doors, 'cos Mercedes patented the idea and they are hanging onto it.

Comment

I saw a nice door job on a converted Golf earlier this year. The doors swung directly up and forwards rather than out, pivoting around the front bottom of the door, and were hydraulically powered. It would fit in a normal parking space as long as there was the ceiling room.

Useless trivia #253:
                      No other car manufacturer can make a production car with gull wing doors, 'cos Mercedes patented the idea and they are hanging onto it.
                      Did anyone ever bother to tell DeLorean?

Comment

Working...
                      X