• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extraditing terrorists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extraditing terrorists

Not exactly sure why these guys are getting extradited, but it seems very wrong to me ...

British Bankers

The case of the three bankers falls under UK legislation in force since January 2004 that was designed to speed up the transfer of suspected terrorists to the United States.

Under treaty, the United States is able to demand a Briton's extradition without having to provide any evidence, although Britain has to prove its case in a U.S. court to extradite U.S. citizens to the United Kingdom.

The three, who worked for NatWest Bank, now part of Royal Bank of Scotland , are alleged to have conspired with Enron executives, including former Chief Financial Officer Andrew Fastow, over the sale of a stake in an Enron entity in 2000, which made them $7.3 million (4 million pounds).

Mulgrew, speaking outside the court said: "We are shocked by the verdict." It was a worrying development for many people, he said.

Bermingham told reporters the case would have a profound impact not just on the three but on many others who are also facing extradition proceedings.

"Regrettably it seems that this government is quite content to use its own citizens as political currency to curry favour with another government," he said. "For the first time in my life I am ashamed to be British."

The former bankers, who deny the fraud allegations, had insisted they should face trial in Britain. They also claim the U.S. government is trying to extradite them only to bolster its case against other Enron defendants.

At a November appeal hearing in the case, Lord Justice John Laws and Justice Duncan Ouseley questioned why the U.S. government wanted to extradite the men when they are accused of defrauding a Royal Bank of Scotland unit, Greenwich NatWest, rather than Enron.

British business leaders have complained that the United States is abusing the treaty to target white-collar criminals.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

I hope they stick 'em in jail and throw away the key ....sorry it's personal.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Maybe, but why are they getting extradited to the US, under the terrorism extradition treaty, for financial crimes commited against a British bank?

Especially given we can't do the same to a US citizen ...

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
        Not exactly sure why these guys are getting extradited, but it seems very wrong to me ...

British Bankers

As far as I can make out they persuaded Nat West senior (mis)management to sell it's stake in an Enron subsiduary company they had an interest in for less than market valuation. They then bought into the company themselves and sold it on at a profit of $7 Million and change.

They are now being extradited on fraud charges. The fraud charges are quite correct and there is a link to the US with the Enron case *but* there is no real reason I can see that they couldnt be charged and tried in the UK, since that is where the offence took place.

As the article says, the US can apply for extradition of any UK citizen without having to show probable cause. The UK still has to show this before it can even think about trying to extradite a US citizen.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Anyone who thinks any of the laws being made using the excuse of terrorism are anything even remotely connected to terrorism is a big fool.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Well yes extradition to the US is probably wrong - but in this case I don't care. I hope they meet Bubba when bending over to pick up the soap in the shower
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              Well yes extradition to the US is probably wrong - but in this case I don't care. I hope they meet Bubba when bending over to pick up the sopa in the shower

Enron shareholder by an chance Sas?
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                Enron shareholder by an chance Sas?
                No something else I cannot disclose.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                  As far as I can make out they persuaded Nat West senior (mis)management to sell it's stake in an Enron subsiduary company they had an interest in for less than market valuation. They then bought into the company themselves and sold it on at a profit of $7 Million and change.
                  Yet Natwest management aren't bringing any charges against them - I'm more worried about the precedent it sets. Fair enough forcing through legislation to help nail terrorists - but wtf has this to do with terrorism, and why can't we do the same back?

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                    Yet Natwest management aren't bringing any charges against them - I'm more worried about the precedent it sets. Fair enough forcing through legislation to help nail terrorists - but wtf has this to do with terrorism, and why can't we do the same back?
                    Where have you been all this time? We are America's poodle and will jump through hoops if asked.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X