• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heavy Sentences

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    19 years seems fine and might make others think again.
    Have countries with the death penalty for drug smuggling completely solved their drug problems?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

might make others think again.
      No, it won't.

The only deterrence this prison term has got is that those guys won't be doing it whilst they are in prison (well they'll probably smuggle drugs into prison but that's limited impact).

Comment

fckng baggage handler should have got 99 years.
        they lost the wifes case in 2000, and it didnt turn up for ten days. bastids.
        she had all her valuables in that case

and how was I supposed to know that the woman in the vibro shop wasnt a sales assistant?

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Is cocaine definitely more dangerous than alcohol?
          Given that it is far more addictive, imagine the consequences if its use became as widespread as that of alcohol. The legalising drugs argument often seems to ignore the fact that drugs are less of a problem only because they are used by far fewer people. Dependency, cancers, heart disease, depression and psychosis would all rocket if most of us used them.

PS Look at the effects of the so called mild drug Khat in Yemen on that country. Most illegal drugs are way worse than that.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The legalising drugs argument often seems to ignore the fact that drugs are less of a problem only because they are used by far fewer people.
            Drugs are problem because people who use them usually cant afford so they have to commit crimes - buying in bulk from Taleban would provide cheap drugs that can be issued by state - result will be big reduction in crimes committed by drugs addicts.

Comment

Given that it is far more addictive, imagine the consequences if its use became as widespread as that of alcohol. The legalising drugs argument often seems to ignore the fact that drugs are less of a problem only because they are used by far fewer people. Dependency, cancers, heart disease, depression and psychosis would all rocket if most of us used them.
              But is the only reason drugs are used by less people because they're illegal? Obviously the supply exists if people want to find it; being illegal (and these harsh sentences) only really succeed in pushing the price up, and pushing up the rewards for the dealers.

A lot less people smoke than they used to, and that's without cigarettes being illegal. Why do we assume that if drugs are legal the entire population are suddenly going to go mad and become addicts?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

We need real democracy. People know instinctively what they want and a broad consensus of Sun readers is a better guide to what works in society than the unworkable ideas of an educated elite.
                I can't think of anything worse. I'd rather an intelligent, well educated toff was in charge than a bunch of "down-to-earth" lorry drivers.

I refer you to shaunbhoy's signature
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Drugs are problem because people who use them usually cant afford so they have to commit crimes - buying in bulk from Taleban would provide cheap drugs that can be issued by state - result will be big reduction in crimes committed by drugs addicts.
                  and a big increase in serious crimes, such as kidnapping and extortion, by crims denied the opportunity to be drug dealers.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    and a big increase in serious crimes, such as kidnapping and extortion, by crims denied the opportunity to be drug dealers.
                    What do you base this on? Kidnapping and extortion are difficult to do crimes - police is well equipped to deal with those, they also carry very long jail sentences. Drug dealer can get legit jobs in those drug shops anyway

Comment

Interesting infographic on the potential tax revenues from drug legalisation, and comparison with a few other big ticket items of govt spending (or non-spending):

Legalising drugs: would it work, by Information is Beautiful | News | guardian.co.uk

Obviously this doesn't account for the money saved on policing etc.
                      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                      X