• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great actors of our time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patrick Stewart
    Judi Dench
    Sir Ian Mckellan
    Michael Gambon

All multiple Olivier Award winners.

For the movies, I quite rate Clive Owen.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
      Liam Neeson
      Don't get it. Give me reason(s) why he should even be considered in the same company as the others.

Comment

Many of the people mentioned are not great actors but are good movie stars.

A great actor is someone who can transform themselves for a role, like say Alec Guinness could.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
          Don't get it. Give me reason(s) why he should even be considered in the same company as the others.
          Schindlers List; one of the finest films of all time IMHO.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            Many of the people mentioned are not great actors but are good movie stars.

A great actor is someone who can transform themselves for a role, like say Alec Guinness could.
            kind hearts and coronets being one example
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Is this the only nomination for a comedy actor so far? Are there any great out-and-out comedian actors, rather than actors who have done the odd silly film?
              Leslie Neilson used to make me laugh a lot, as did Peter Sellers.

I'm not sure whether they were great actors though.

Comment

Absolutely flabbergasted Chris Walken hasn't had a mention.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                  Schindlers List; one of the finest films of all time IMHO.
                  Good film yes, was Neeson any good though?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Let me add Swimming with Sharks and Se7en.
                    EDIT: in fact, check out Kevin Spacey - IMDb for some corkers
                    (I have lots of Spacey films!)
                    Glengarry Glen Ross is one of my favourite films. Some other good actors in it too, (Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris).

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                      Glengarry Glen Ross is one of my favourite films. Some other good actors in it too, (Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris).
                      Great actors, superbly filmed, but I absolutely hate that film.

Ian Richardson
                      Anthony Quayle
                      Jophn Gielgud (sp?)
                      Alan Rickman
                      John Mills
                      Lawrence Olivier
                      Leslie Neilsen
                      Anthony Hopkins
                      Cary Grant
                      Many many others
                      Last edited by TykeMerc; 30 December 2010, 13:57.

Comment

Working...
                      X