• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Great actors of our time?"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    No that's "GREATEST"

Great means they were really good at what they do.

David Beckham, Carlos Tevez, Maradonna, Geoff Hurst, George Best all GREAT footballers and quite often "greatest", as D000hg said, is a matter of opinion unless there is some definitive measure.
    David Beckham? nice one.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Not a great actor but Kevin Costner directed and stared in one of the best films of the last 30 years (Dances with Wolves). How did that happen?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    But for the pedantic or slow-witted, you can read the question as "who do you consider the very best actor, or few actors, of our time" if it helps

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I thought "great" meant the very best of a profession or whatever. How can the large number of actors named in this thread all be the very best?
    No that's "GREATEST"

Great means they were really good at what they do.

David Beckham, Carlos Tevez, Maradonna, Geoff Hurst, George Best all GREAT footballers and quite often "greatest", as D000hg said, is a matter of opinion unless there is some definitive measure.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I thought "great" meant the very best of a profession or whatever. How can the large number of actors named in this thread all be the very best?
    Because different people have different opinions?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Glengarry Glen Ross is one of my favourite films. Some other good actors in it too, (Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris).
    Great actors, superbly filmed, but I absolutely hate that film.

Ian Richardson
    Anthony Quayle
    Jophn Gielgud (sp?)
    Alan Rickman
    John Mills
    Lawrence Olivier
    Leslie Neilsen
    Anthony Hopkins
    Cary Grant
    Many many others
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 30 December 2010, 13:57.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Let me add Swimming with Sharks and Se7en.
    EDIT: in fact, check out Kevin Spacey - IMDb for some corkers
    (I have lots of Spacey films!)
    Glengarry Glen Ross is one of my favourite films. Some other good actors in it too, (Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris).

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Schindlers List; one of the finest films of all time IMHO.
    Good film yes, was Neeson any good though?

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Absolutely flabbergasted Chris Walken hasn't had a mention.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is this the only nomination for a comedy actor so far? Are there any great out-and-out comedian actors, rather than actors who have done the odd silly film?
    Leslie Neilson used to make me laugh a lot, as did Peter Sellers.

I'm not sure whether they were great actors though.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Many of the people mentioned are not great actors but are good movie stars.

A great actor is someone who can transform themselves for a role, like say Alec Guinness could.
    kind hearts and coronets being one example

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    Don't get it. Give me reason(s) why he should even be considered in the same company as the others.
    Schindlers List; one of the finest films of all time IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Many of the people mentioned are not great actors but are good movie stars.

A great actor is someone who can transform themselves for a role, like say Alec Guinness could.

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    Liam Neeson
    Don't get it. Give me reason(s) why he should even be considered in the same company as the others.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X