• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best breakfasts you ever had ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    As much as I like a good fry up, you can't beat some of the breakfasts you get in American diners.
    WNS^

Denny's on Miami Beach strip in 1986. I was 15 and wow, certainly beat two soggy weetabix.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Anyone tried the famous 'Gutbuster from Brighton

Home of the ‘Gut Buster’ among Britain’s best breakfasts | News From Brighton
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

This place is pretty good:

Offbeat Eats: Regency Cafe (Pimlico, London, UK)

Also where they filmed the greasy spoon scene in Layer Cake, where the guy gets beaten up and has the contents of a kettle poured over him.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          As much as I like a good fry up, you can't beat some of the breakfasts you get in American diners.

Hoooge stack of big thick pancakes, with butter and maple syrup oozing all over with loads of crisp bacon on top.

Best fry up I ever had was in a caff in Bethnal Green, the breakfast plates were massive and proper builders tea.

Or the Brick Lane beigel bake for smoked salmon and cream cheese beigels at 5am after a night on the tiles.
          Quite agree, some of the American ones are great. I had to do a couple of stints in Chattanooga and just down the road was a great diner. We all used to pop down there for breakfast and get these huge portions. The first time I was a bit overwhelmed with the portions and then they made me try Grits, maybe not again unless I have to. They also used to have these huge thick cakes which were real gutbusters.

Many years ago we used to go to a cafe just round from the Monument which dealt mainly for taxi drivers and the odd motorcycle courier. A real good fry up was had there (and there used to be one on the Ongar Road in Brentwood which had the typical British breakfast.) I love relating to Germans was a real British breakfast is, they look at me aghast but its miles better than what they do here (cheese, salami, various other meats, muesli, different types of breads, mettwurst - raw meat with onion on top, etc.)
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The Peat Spade Inn in Longstock does a superb breakfast. All the ingredients, bacon, black pudding, bread, egg etc all come from within a few miles of the kitchen. The sausages are the best I've ever had.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Quite agree, some of the American ones are great. I had to do a couple of stints in Chattanooga ...
              Agreed, some of the American brekkies are quite good. Last time I was there though, I had a bit of an altercation with the manager/owner, after the restaurant moggie attacked my new trainers. The owner denied having a viscious mog, but the kind waitress found it and brought it over for identification
              'pardon me sir, is this the cat that chewed your new shoes ?'

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

American bacon sucks. Thin & tasteless.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Mac's Cafe, Green Lanes, N4.

Sausage, Bacon, Fried Egg, Black Pudding, Beans, Bubble and Squeak.

Papers, TV, for F1 or MotoGp etc...

Still go there some Sundays even though we have moved up the road to Tottenham.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    The Peat Spade Inn in Longstock does a superb breakfast. All the ingredients, bacon, black pudding, bread, egg etc all come from within a few miles of the kitchen. The sausages are the best I've ever had.
                    I found several pub-cum-hotels in North Yorkshire that did the same. Everything local and fresh. Real free range eggs with richly coloured yokes as well.

For Sunday Brunch, my all time favourite was an American style place in Paris. They did a cracking good Bloody Mary too. There was also a place called The Irish Farm which did an excellent Irish brunch and had smartly dressed proper Irish waitresses. Delicious but cost 15 quid a head in the mid-1980s
                    Last edited by Sysman; 29 December 2010, 13:05.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Am I the only one who prefers cheap sausages to these premium ones? I find them too dense and solid, I like the sausage to be a softer texture. Maybe these are crap premium sausages I've had with too much meat... in my book they should have bread and so on, but mixed with decent meat.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X