• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter Tyres

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was pesuaded by the Winter Tyre argument until I went looking for some prices on-line. The cheapest I could get Winter tyres for the rear wheels of my car were £500 each! Front ones were about £320 each. Instead I've bought a load of rock salt and share the wife's 4x4.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      I was pesuaded by the Winter Tyre argument until I went looking for some prices on-line. The cheapest I could get Winter tyres for the rear wheels of my car were £500 each! Front ones were about £320 each. Instead I've bought a load of rock salt and share the wife's 4x4.
      Do you drive a Monster Truck?

I've never been convinced. Like most people my road is covered in hard packed ice now, but once you get to the main roads it's absolutely fine on whatever tyres. Okay so maybe you need to go a bit slower on summer tyres, but so what.

Even if we were guaranteed 2 weeks of snow every year, they're still not really worth it. After 3 or 4 years they'll be going off and need to be thrown away, and you'll have probably only got a few thousand miles use from them. Leave them on for 4 or 5 months, and they'll spend most of the time overheating, wearing out in no time, and have bugger all grip.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If you have got winter tyres but the guy behind you doesn't it would only mean he'll smash you in the back...

Comment

No 1 son just got some and they work.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            If you have got winter tyres but the guy behind you doesn't it would only mean he'll smash you in the back...
            Now that does remind me of Russia. Cars with bald tyres on ice.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Dunno. I was in Moscow in winter once and the taxis were all bombing around on snow covered roads as if there wasn't any snow at all.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                You can ask for the garage to put the tyres on the wheels, usually doesn´t cost much and they´ll store the tyres for you, saves a lot of hassle.
                Good idea, however, I just checked and winter tyres just aren't available in the standard size for my motor, so I'd need another set of wheels in a slightly different size if I do this.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  And for that matter, you can still get stuck and spend the night in your car if the people ahead and the people behind get stuck, no matter how good your car or your tyres are.

On that basis, you're much better off with summer tyres. At least then you get stuck 500 yards from home.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    And for that matter, you can still get stuck and spend the night in your car if the people ahead and the people behind get stuck, no matter how good your car or your tyres are.

On that basis, you're much better off with summer tyres. At least then you get stuck 500 yards from home.
                    Just deflate your summer tires a little bit, that should help to get more grip. For the reasons stated above I wouldn't bother with winter tyres either.

p.s. Do 4x4 normally come with all-season tyres ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post

p.s. Do 4x4 normally come with all-season tyres ?
                      Our Rav4 did.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X