• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Radioactive lorry leak firm fined

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radioactive lorry leak firm fined

From Auntie Beeb at BBC Story

The cargo was being transported to Sellafield in Cumbria
    A firm responsible for a radioactive leak from a lorry for more than 100 miles has been fined £250,000.
    The vehicle, which travelled from Yorkshire to the Sellafield nuclear plant in Cumbria, leaked radiation for 130 miles, a court heard.

Leeds Crown Court was told it was "pure good fortune" no one was dangerously contaminated in March 2002.

AEA Technology admitted health and safety breaches and was ordered to pay £151,000 costs.

The Oxfordshire-based company was transporting part of a piece of cancer treatment equipment, which had been decommissioned at Cookridge Hospital in Leeds, to the Sellafield complex.

But a "plug" was left off a specially-built 2.5 tonne container.

High dose

Mark Harris, prosecuting for the Health and Safety Executive, said: "Through pure good fortune no-one involved in the removal, containment and transfer of the source may have been directly exposed to the radiation beam.

"The risk of such exposure was undoubtedly present - at Cookridge, during the journey and at Sellafield."

He said detected radiation at Sellafield was between 100 to 1,000 times above what would normally be considered a very high dose rate.

He added that the radiation leak took the form of a narrow "beam", which was fortunately directed vertically into the ground.

Mr Harris said the result would have been much worse if the beam had escaped horizontally.

I read in one paper that this beam was so powerful, it would be some few hundred feet long.

The question on my mind, is what about the water supply under the road that get's irridiated as the truck passes over the pipes ?

Would casual driving over a water supply for a few seconds pose any risk ?

What about if the lorry was stationary at a set of traffic lights for a minute, merrily beaming it's lethal load in to the ground and in to a water pipe 6 feet under the surface ?

What about the road surface it passed over...can that retain radioactivity ?

I'm not a radioactive buff, so I have no idea...anyone else shed any informed knowledge on this ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Well people from oop North look funny anyway, so an extra eye or ear is neither here nor there.

I'll get me coat ....
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

We're all doomed ...
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

In Russia some Mafiosi put some highly radioactive material under the seat of a Governor, or some company boss. The victim noticed his seat was pleasantly warm, but then after a few days, his bum began to go black and his bowels disintegrated.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
        X