• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To Storm Out or Not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once had a contract for a consultancy where 5 of us were sat in a room on client site that held 15 people. One day the rest of the project (the clients phone monkeys) moved in making 22 in the room and we had to hot desk. In a room full of jibber jabbering management / process types.

One day I came in and there were no desks, and the clients PA advised me to sit on a filing cabinet with my laptop on my lap in a patronising manner involving the words "tough" and "tulip". As this wasn't the first time her demeanour had irked me I went and found our PM and explained the situation and he said "well, we just have to deal with it don't we" to which I replied "actually I don't, I'm on 5 days notice" and took the rest of the week off.

A week later I was sat in a Herman Miller Aeron at a massive desk with a proper screen and keyboard. And wearing a dressing gown, as I was now working from home full time with occasional trips to the client site for meetings & suchlike. I also managed to organise a number of our internal team meetings in my lounge thus justifying the purchase of a 42" plasma screen for presentations (this was in the days when such things were still relatively rare and expensive)

If the worst that can happen is not renewing, and that is acceptable to you, then take a stand.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Ha ha LOL !!!! That's not exactly a million miles from my home office. Aye, tis the biggest tulipehole in the county, tis true.

Were you with the racing boys at RML, or Belkin? Are there any gigs in N'hants, apart from Barclaycard?
      I had a contract there, when i arrived they had no desk for me and i had to look over the shoulder of someone else for the first 2 hours, then when i finally sat down i found that to get out of the chair the fella behind had to pull his self in and vise versa if he want to get out, the noise was awful as its one massive open plan building,
      It was the worst 4 hours of my life,

Comment

At one place* I had a midget desk/chair combination that was most uncomfortable. The pad I had rented also had a low level sofa and it seemed like I couldn't stretch my legs in either place.

I didn't renew.

* it was a Japanese company and I wondered if Japan has a smaller sized "standard desk".
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I hear at Honda in Swindon you have to dance in the mornings and wear overalls.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Ha ha LOL !!!! That's not exactly a million miles from my home office. Aye, tis the biggest tulipehole in the county, tis true.

Were you with the racing boys at RML, or Belkin? Are there any gigs in N'hants, apart from Barclaycard?
            This was many years ago with Texas Homecare. At the start I used to commute each day from Essex until I got digs. The first day was a nightshift and I turned up at midnight having ridden a motorbike through freezing fog so was covered in ice and tulip, rang on the bell and told the bloke I was the new contractor. He, of course, hadn't been informed...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              I did one contract, I was the only guy on a floor with 400 babes. It was so packed that when I walked down the aisle, my elbows on both sides bobbled their sticky out boobies like wind chimes.

Then I was ordered to crawl around under their mini beskirted desks to connect their cables up, talk about looking into the crack of doom

but then I woke up. it was all a dream

That was actually part of a contract that I did (in Cockfosters, what a great name.) There were a lot of women working there and if a screen went boink or somesuch thing we were called and had to furrow around under the desks fiddling with cables and whatnots. Put me of MILFs for life
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Desks were ok but you should seen the state of the chairs last place I was at. Looked like somebody had died and nobody had noticed for a few months.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

[QUOTE=EternalOptimist;1250593]I did one contract, I was the only guy on a floor with 400 babes. It was so packed that when I walked down the aisle, my elbows on both sides bobbled their sticky out boobies like wind chimes.

Then I was ordered to crawl around under their mini beskirted desks to connect their cables up, talk about looking into the crack of doom

EO,

I thought you were on about that B@rclays role you had !! What an honour it was for me to take over your large tulipty stick which you used to beat all the birds off !

C

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    That was actually part of a contract that I did (in Cockfosters, what a great name.) There were a lot of women working there and if a screen went boink or somesuch thing we were called and had to furrow around under the desks fiddling with cables and whatnots. Put me of MILFs for life
                    What did you see to put you off?!
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      What did you see to put you off?!
                      WHS.

Per the definition of a milf.....you shouldn't be put off.

Comment

Working...
                      X