• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Lioness on a Cheesegrater' explained.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, later (I think) ancient Athenian adultery laws are jolly interesting. Adultery carried a heavier sentence than rape, because the rapist has merely corrupted the woman's body, but the adulterer has corrupted her mind too. If you caught your wife in the act with another man, failing to either kill him on the spot or bring him to justice could carry a death penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Actually, later (I think) ancient Athenian adultery laws are jolly interesting. Adultery carried a heavier sentence than rape, because the rapist has merely corrupted the woman's body, but the adulterer has corrupted her mind too. If you caught your wife in the act with another man, failing to either kill him on the spot or bring him to justice could carry a death penalty.
      What happened to the woman?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
        What happened to the woman?
        I'm not sure, and it would be interesting to find out. I expect nothing in terms of legal punishment, as she would have been entirely the husband's responsibility and I don't think you could bring a prosecution against a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
          Mmmmmmm, radishes.

Were they talking about yer salad variety or the 18" long Mooli variety?
          Prince George: Honestly, Blackadder, I don't know why I'm bothering to get dressed. As soon as I get to the Naughty Hellfire Club, I'll be de-bagged and radished for non-payment of debts.

Blackadder: "Radished", sir?

Prince George: Yes. They pull your britches down, and push a large radish right up your—

Blackadder: Yes, yes, yes, alright, sir! [pauses] There's no need to hammer it home.

Prince George: As a matter of fact, they do often—

Blackadder: No, NO!
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
          X