• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's left: Record number of Britons move abroad for better life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's left: Record number of Britons move abroad for better life

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle346218.ece

"Record numbers of people are leaving Britain to live and work abroad, figures show. More than 350,000 men and women are emigrating every year, a rise of 30 per cent in 10 years. ",

maybe new Labour will have to build a Berlin wall at Dover ?

Milan.

They could ask the illegals to build it as part of their 'citizenship' class..... or EDS, but then you'd end up with a tunnel rather than a barricade....
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

ahh, put's on New Labour thinking hat

forget the wall, that's the old way to keep the people in

think New Lie Gordonomics....

A tax on emmigrants and emmigration - it's only fair you know !

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
        http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle346218.ece

"Record numbers of people are leaving Britain to live and work abroad, figures show. More than 350,000 men and women are emigrating every year, a rise of 30 per cent in 10 years. ",

maybe new Labour will have to build a Berlin wall at Dover ?

Milan.
        I skimmed the article but it seems that it's only about Australia and US.

"'Australia has better pay and more work' - Jonathan Jones, 36, engineer"

I strongly doubt about this (and also you have less holidays I think).

For US is true but then do not expect any help from the state (fair enough, they give you the possibility of gaining those things for yourself). Plus it's so difficult to get a visa unless you work already for a multination which is willing to sponsor you.

Is it true that permanent staff in Germany get 6 weeks a year???
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          I skimmed the article but it seems that it's only about Australia and US.

"'Australia has better pay and more work' - Jonathan Jones, 36, engineer"
          Complete and utter b0llocks that one, paid much less and nowehere near as much IT work (Maybe in other fields) ...

And US is great if you can get a visa, but that's pretty bloody hard these days.

Wonder how that figure calculates the returning exodus? I lived in both countries, and know lot's of ex-pats from here, and a big majority of ex-pats I know are back (Or in process of coming back) - 75% at least I'd guess ...
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I've left

enjoying the sunshine in Italy. Pension and investment income goes a hell of a lot further
            TB
            Let's go to Italy

Comment

Yup can confirm that. Six weeks holiday is the norm in Germany, oh plus training (1 week "Bildungsurlaub"), and the usual sickies of course, ah and they have more bank holidays than anywhere else, especially May, June.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

I can confirm that too. And sometimes they take the lot in one go, without telling anyone except personnel, so anything in their in-tray has to gather dust.

They don't miss holidays during the rest of the year because, as Blaster says, they get more public holidays than us and they liberally use sickies.

IANAG etc.

Comment

Spain is a nice place to live,

Work-wise it can be quite stressful (at times, the rest of the time it's very relaxed) and low-paid (compared to UK) but the quality of life more than makes up for that

Comment

Working...
                  X