• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you religious/ superstitious?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Perhaps you have some evidence for the existence of a supernatural entity?
    sure, billions of people will soon be celebrating the birth of JESUS

no I won't waste all day arguing with a brainwashed can't think for himself atheist so don't bother

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
      sure, billions of people will soon be celebrating the birth of JESUS

no I won't waste all day arguing with a brainwashed can't think for himself atheist so don't bother
      It's like the anti-kandr. Any chance they can cancel each other out?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well Doogie says he has evidence. I was merely asking for it.
        Odd how such a simple question leads to so much ducking and diving.
        It's because most of the evidence is personal, intangible , cant be seen under a microscope and cant be measured with a micrometer. But its very real to the people who experience it

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          If religion was evidence based there would be no need for faith
          Christianity is based on factual people, events, experiences with God, truthful accounts... faith in it is very easy for most

It has its enemies, such as cottaging enthusiasts

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I meant historical evidence in my original post, i.e. history and claims about Jesus, rather than seeing someone raised from the dead. I sadly have not seen a miracle with my own eyes. I've had prayers answered but it can't be used as formal evidence, which I think is what you meant?
            1. Historical evidence about Jesus. I believe someone called something like Jesus existed about 2000 years ago. I have no evidence he was supernatural apart from contradictory claims by some poorly-educated locals.

2. You have not seen a miracle with your own eyes. So you have no direct proof of the supernatural.

3. You've had prayers answered. Ever had prayers not answered? If so that is better explained by random outcomes than recourse to a supernatural power who intervened.

So to summarise, there is no evidence for a supernatural being that would convince, say, for the sake of argument, a jury in a court?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I am not religious, I do not think there is a God, but I could be wrong & if there is I have 1 question of him/her/it; “Why?”

Apart from the minority extremists (in all faiths) there is no harm to others so let every one believe in what they want

If you want a cause try this one at least they have a funky logo
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Christianity is based on factual people, events, experiences with God, truthful accounts... faith in it is very easy for most

It has its enemies, such as cottaging enthusiasts
                As it happens, modern Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. With or without the concept of a God the teachings themselves have merit and are what provide moral guidance. If a relgion is just about the basis of living your life by this doctrine then it is valid. That is your belief and that is proveable.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

So to summarise, there is no evidence for a supernatural being that would convince, say, for the sake of argument, a jury in a court?
                  It's convinced billions of people around the world of all levels of education, wealth etc.

It's not convinced you but why don't you start being honest to us about why you REALLY reject God. Come on, open up, spill the beans, stop hiding behind ludicrous copy and paste arguments to comfort yourself. Do tell.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    It's because most of the evidence is personal, intangible , cant be seen under a microscope and cant be measured with a micrometer. But its very real to the people who experience it

I have no doubt of that.
                    And that is the point exactly.
                    Psychology and neuroscience tells us how easy it is for the mind to play tricks on itself.
                    So someone's "mystical" experience does not count as evidence.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

It never fails to amuse me how many atheists cannot spell the word "religion".

Compare and contrast these self-proclaimed intelligent men with the Pope who can speak, write and understand many modern and ancient languages.
                      I made a simple spelling mistake (or two), I hope it didn't put too many religious people off selecting that option. I am not infallible. I can't speak for the Pope. Once poll options are submitted, they are immortalised, for right or wrong.
                      Last edited by TimberWolf; 8 December 2010, 11:05.

Comment

Working...
                      X