• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there anything more weak-minded and meaningless than having "faith"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I think that's an extremely good definition of faith.

Someone with faith will surely answer "Yes - so what's the problem?"

It only appears weak minded to you because your point of view is different, i.e. evidence based.

If you want a proper debate about this, I suggest you visit here: Atheist Central -- Ray Comfort's Blog
    Where, incidentally, you'll find proof of God's existence, right on the home page
    Yeah no problem, just people being killed, tortured, child rape, genital mutiliation as a direct result of it. No big deal though.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Now, now, that's not very Christian is it?
      I think your God probably disapproves of that.
      Telling someone they're an idiot? Jesus did that several times.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well there is documented evidence that religious people are usually less intelligent than non-religious.
        That explains his knuckle-dragging, I suppose.
        Troll.

Comment

It isn't what people believe and why that matters, the problem comes when they use irrational beliefs as a basis for what the law should be and impose it on the rest of us.

Look at people like Ann Widdecombe and her Pro Life views. Because of an idea, based on no evidence at all, that we have a soul from conception they want to stop women making their own choices on early abortion or the rest being able to choose when we want to end our lives. The basis of these laws should be the fundamental one that we should have a right to control our own lives and the details of them should be decided on practical issues.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

What's a soul got to do with it? Most pro-life arguments I hear focus on the "it's alive" argument not "it's got a soul". There are many pro-life atheists and no doubt quite a few medical professionals, I don't think it's fair to say that abortion is argued for only by reasonable people and against by irrationals. It's far too complex a topic to draw huge generalisations (and I don't personally have a strong view either way).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              What's a soul got to do with it? Most pro-life arguments I hear focus on the "it's alive" argument not "it's got a soul". There are many pro-life atheists and no doubt quite a few medical professionals, I don't think it's fair to say that abortion is argued for only by reasonable people and against by irrationals. It's far too complex a topic to draw huge generalisations (and I don't personally have a strong view either way).
              yep, but to be fair to xog, the OP was talking about religious faith, not faith.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Idiot.
                Telling someone they're an idiot? Jesus did that several times.
                Behold! Forsooth! I am the 3rd coming.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                  Yeah no problem, just people being killed, tortured, child rape, genital mutiliation as a direct result of it. No big deal though.
                  Yeah, but that's because God gave man free-will, innit? So it's not actually his fault. That's man's fault.

Comment

Troll.
                    Not really. Here's a summary of the evidence:

Religiosity and intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Behold! Forsooth! I am the 3rd coming.
                      Been a long time since there was a 3rd coming. Twice nightly maybe if I'm feeling frisky.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X