• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time for a new mobile phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw
    I never expected an IT contractor board to be a bastion for Luddites ...
    Sorry Snaw - didn't mean to be an obnoxious Luddite.

Just was a bit fed up of all the 'what phone should I get' stuff that seems to dominate almost every forum I visit lately.

Apologies for my bile. You haven't seen my invective yet tho!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

i have the nokia n70, it runs symbian, has sky tv and does everything i need it to...

its brilliant, and would highly recommend it.

dont go for windows on phones, horrid
        Kind Regards,

Paul

Comment

I currently have the Sony Ericsson P910i and I am realy pleased with it. I had the P900 before that. All my accessories are from Ericsson so I am sticking with them - besides, you get used to the menu functions etc and so changing models is easy.

I am waiting for the P990 to come out and then I will transition to 3G. I am interested in 3G for the faster downloads. Look forward to the day that a try from the 6 nations is available live on my phone..........!

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortune Green
            Get a multipurpose device......

Sure, and what's gonna happen when someone calls...is the average Joe going to understand exactly what is meant by "hold against ear" and "press button to answer"...

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
              Actually, it's almost impossible to find the phone that I want (good audio, range, clarity, cheap, works all over the world).
              Ditto answer phones for me - I want one with a big "MUTE" button that I can press before having a nap or going to bed - or something (pause for effect) - to take messages without the phone ringing or even flashing undully.

But in all the years I've looked, ever since answering machines were invented, I've never seen one. It seems that the first axiom of imbecile answer phone designers is "If the owner is within earshot, even if comatose or otherwise engaged, they will always want to know the moment someone rings".
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by slice16
                dont go for windows on phones, horrid
                I bought an Xda IIs a few months ago (which I think has two or three names depending on the network installed). The reception is good, but it does tend to hang every few days and need resetting. Also I carry it around in a case which needs fumbling to pull it out when making or taking a call.

Not pulling an authoritative answer out of my arse Bogeyman, but having just picked my nose I can say with some authority that IMHO 3G is a damp squip for the price and you'd be better off waiting for 4G, or 5G.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                  Ditto answer phones for me - I want one with a big "MUTE" button that I can press before having a nap or going to bed - or something (pause for effect) - to take messages without the phone ringing or even flashing undully.

But in all the years I've looked, ever since answering machines were invented, I've never seen one. It seems that the first axiom of imbecile answer phone designers is "If the owner is within earshot, even if comatose or otherwise engaged, they will always want to know the moment someone rings".
                  You pushed a button there, OwlHoot. Why does the phone demand such priority? My young daughter, far from Luddite, taught me something there, at least for mobiles: if you don't want to take calls, switch it off. Yes, you can!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                    I bought an Xda IIs a few months ago (which I think has two or three names depending on the network installed). The reception is good, but it does tend to hang every few days and need resetting. Also I carry it around in a case which needs fumbling to pull it out when making or taking a call.

Not pulling an authoritative answer out of my arse Bogeyman, but having just picked my nose I can say with some authority that IMHO 3G is a damp squip for the price and you'd be better off waiting for 4G, or 5G.
                    3G's only a damp squib because none of the networks implemented it properly. There's been an upgrade recently that enables the promised 'near broadband' speeds to be received on the phone. At least they seem to have applied this upgrade to my local 3G site.

I also had one of the XDA IIs variants. I found that using a bluetooth headset with caller id (Jabra BT800) was the best solution to making and receiving calls. It's a lot easier to whip that out of your pocket, see who's calling and answer. Now got the Orange M5000, the XDA Exec variant with the same headset.
                    Discuss PDA/Smartphones
                    Yeovil Town FC - the real green & whites

Comment

Originally posted by dazza12
                      I also had one of the XDA IIs variants. I found that using a bluetooth headset with caller id (Jabra BT800) was the best solution to making and receiving calls. It's a lot easier to whip that out of your pocket, see who's calling and answer. Now got the Orange M5000, the XDA Exec variant with the same headset.
                      A nifty feature on my Sony Erikson phone is voice tagging stored numbers so that the phone can tell you who is calling wthout having to pull it out and look. Now if they can get it to tell me the number is withheld it will be perfect.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X