• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Matched Betting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    £25 for placing a couple of bets seems easy to me and well worth the effort.
    And try to arrange it so you lose at the bookies.
    When you look at it in £/hr you end up better off with a paper round.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      £25 for placing a couple of bets seems easy to me and well worth the effort.
      And try to arrange it so you lose at the bookies.
      Plus a lot of the bookies offer cash back via Quidco and the like. An extra £5-10 a time.

There seems to be a decent amount of free bet offers around at any one time to take advantage of.

Loosing at the bookies is the trick I haven't twigged yet. Any suggestions.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        When you look at it in £/hr you end up better off with a paper round.
        It only takes 10 minutes or so to do, so the hourly rate is actually pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          It only takes 10 minutes or so to do, so the hourly rate is actually pretty good.
          10 mins to do, but hours to research and find the correct bet.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Maybe things have changed...

Old housemate of mine used to be obsessed with it. He would be up all hours trying to match bets on tennis, footy etc all over the world.

In the morning he'd look like sh!te and tell me about hi £6.70 winnings, which as he put it was "about a tenner if it was taxed earnings"

It's a good idea on paper but not worth the effort IMHO. Not trying to whizz on your cornflakes and as I said, things may have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              Be very careful - make sure you stick to matched bets and do some serious research before moving onto any other strategies.

As an example of what can go wrong, here's an MSE thread from 2007 where they decided to start playing the overround on the First Goalscorer market for an Arsenal Chelsea game. You can see about pg 3-4 of the thread where the realisation slowly sinks in that, since not all the players in the market started the game, some of their lay bets would be cancelled, leaving them unhedged and in for thousands of pounds worth of losses:

Overround Thread - Does Not Work!!! Ignore - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

And here is the "so, how much did you lose?" thread:

How much did you lose today on the Dutching Fiasco - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
              Just read through those two threads... very entertaining, in a schadenfreude sort of way.

It wasn't anything to do with matched betting though, it was a bunch of numpties thinking they were taking advantage of the overround but infact they didn't understand the non-starter rule.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Maybe things have changed...

Old housemate of mine used to be obsessed with it. He would be up all hours trying to match bets on tennis, footy etc all over the world.

In the morning he'd look like sh!te and tell me about hi £6.70 winnings, which as he put it was "about a tenner if it was taxed earnings"

It's a good idea on paper but not worth the effort IMHO. Not trying to whizz on your cornflakes and as I said, things may have changed.
                It think your thinking about the arbitrage side of it. That does sound like hard work cos you need to find the gaps in the market to make it work. This is just matching bets to take advantage of the free bet offers the bookies give you.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                  Just read through those two threads... very entertaining, in a schadenfreude sort of way.

It wasn't anything to do with matched betting though, it was a bunch of numpties thinking they were taking advantage of the overround but infact they didn't understand the non-starter rule.
                  True, but it does demonstrate that there are pitfalls associated with betting arbitrage and you have to do your research before entering into it. That's not to say it can't be done safely, but that you really have to understand what you're doing and make sure you have genuine matched bets as opposed to a strategy which might seem similar on the face of it, but in reality is totally different.
                  "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Be aware that some bookies do not release the sign-up bonus until you've bet a set amount through them, even if the bonus becomes part of a winning bet.

So if your bonus is £20, you put £20 in yourself and then win at 2/1, you'll only be able to collect £60 - the bonus won't be freed until you've put something like £200 worth of bets through them.

Obviously it's not an issue if you win on the matched account, but it's a bit of a pain if not.
                    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
                      Be aware that some bookies do not release the sign-up bonus until you've bet a set amount through them, even if the bonus becomes part of a winning bet.

So if your bonus is £20, you put £20 in yourself and then win at 2/1, you'll only be able to collect £60 - the bonus won't be freed until you've put something like £200 worth of bets through them.

Obviously it's not an issue if you win on the matched account, but it's a bit of a pain if not.
                      Hence Zippy's quote about trying to lose at the bookies

Comment

Working...
                      X