• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student revolts; why not work AND study?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I don't believe that 50% of the population are cut out for university study, as Mr B Liar seemed to think.
    I agree, why should University be available for all – it should only be available for those with the intellectual wherewithal to complete it.

I also think that some subjects are better when done in conjunction with a job, as you get to learn the theoretical & see the practical at the same time; which gives a more rounded understanding of the subject.
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
      Yes, that was kind of my point. I disagree wholeheartedly with your aside fwiw. Learning the foundations of coding, learning binary, learning the more technical side of things has taken a massive amount of thinking and concentration from me.
      Exactly who much thinking and concentration did it take to learn binary?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        It seems to take some esteemed customers a very long time to learn binary.

And the amount of time it takes to learn hex, you really wouldn't believe.
        Oooh, at least eight times as long, maybe 16 times if you struggled with the 1 part of 0 and 1.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Assuming you study for 4 years it'll end up costing about 4 grand; you can get financial assistance and many big employers view OU degrees very favourably. Maybe there's no stigma outside the UK; the OU is known overseas as a very good university; it's also rated highly by all the quality inspection surveys.

The concept of open access is not strange to Europeans; I believe that in Bologna, it's easy to get in to the university, but the exams at the end of the first year are so tough that only about a third can cut the mustard. Selection at the start is not the only way to ensure a high standard of qualifications.
          An atypical OU degree is achieved through passing modules which add up to 360 credits. Courses will specify modules which must make up part of that award and other modules which may be optional. Modules are classed as Level 1, 2 or 3 and they correspond to the expected ability of the student were they to be at a traditional University. So a Level 1 module corresponds to first year, level 2 to second year, etc.

Using mine as an example, my current module is a Level 2 module worth 30 credits and it cost me just over £1000. The last 60 credit module I did was a level three module and it cost me just over £2000.

Breaking down the LL.B, I have four compulsory modules (at £2050 each) which make up 240 credits. The four optional modules I have chosen are all 30 credits (4 x £1025) which equates to over £12000. Not quite 4 grand.

Law's a bit special though, I'm sure it's unfunded by the state, so if I was to compare a 60 credit level two module from a Maths degree, it only costs £650.

I went to a tutorial a couple of months back and there were a couple of 'sink estate' single mothers getting their law degree paid for as well as their benefits. They weren't exactly up to the average level of the course, but because they weren't paying for it they weren't really bothered.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            I don't think you can study to as high a level part-time.
            The OU offers part-time PhD's, as do one or two other Uni's.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Oh no, I meant something a bit more elitist than that. If you pick the right subject you'll pass a PhD by sheer attrition. I just think it more likely that academic brilliance, at undergraduate or graduate level, will be more common on balance in a dedicated full-time environment.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Exactly who much thinking and concentration did it take to learn binary?
                Before you can do that lot, you have to prove 1 is more than 0. Which is a surprisingly long proof IIRC.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Before you can do that lot, you have to prove 1 is more than 0. Which is a surprisingly long proof IIRC.
                  Is the proof that 2 is more than 1 any easier? Surely though 1 is greater than 0 by definition?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Surely though 1 is greater than 0 by definition?
                    Nope, there's a proof. I'm sure it's on the internet one more than one place.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Having just completed a BSc part time while holding down a full time job (day release for Uni from company) I feel I can comment – the biggest issue is time, all spare time is spent studying not a lot of room left for fun. You need a fair whack of dedication to complete the course.

The whole full time uni thing seems to be more about lifestyle than common sense.

As for age it is the norm to get the degree after A levels when it is perceived that you can have more fun & avoid the whole job / responsibility thing for a while.

I started my degree at 30 it was daunting but I was more motivated as I knew the reasons why I was doing it.

So yes you can work & study but only as long as you are motivated & have a good reason to
                      Congrats on completing the BsC - I doubt many would have the dedication to achieve that working part time, me included.

I guess another advantage of starting a degree not long after A Levels is that students don't regress too far and need to relearn a load of stuff they have forgotten (even if it may be quicker and easier the second time).

Also, the older people get, even by their 30s and 40s, the harder they tend to find learning completely new concepts. I can't speak for anyone else, but most of what I can readily grasp and remember is variations on concepts I already know.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X