• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student pleads guilty to throwing fire extinguisher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Surely he should be vandalising the Labour party headquarters, seeing as they´re the people who made these cuts necessary?
    I think you're crediting him with more intelligence than he deserves.

Comment

Surely he should be vandalising the Labour party headquarters, seeing as they´re the people who made these cuts necessary?
      Spot on Mich!
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        He's going to be someone's bitch for at least the next 18 months.
        What with those "purdy golden locks and purdy liddle mouth".

It'll be just like when he was at public school.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          Seems steep to me. He's a kid who got carried away by the moment. Agree, he needs to realise his actions are not acceptable, but, assuming no previous form, 3 months (or 6, with 3 served...) would do the job and give him a much better chance of actually getting on with a normal education and life at the end of it.
          He could have killed someone. Message needs to be sent out. Take responsibilty for your own actions.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

How far did he manage to throw it?

Any latent athletic talent?
            He managed to miss a stationary line of coppers and an entire crowd of students.

Seems good enough for the British athletics team to me.

It's just a shame someone'll be "doing the backstroke" and "putting their shot" up him during the 2012 Olympics.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Strictly speaking he should be able to work that out.

He is studying A levels in classics, politics and philosophy.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                He could have killed someone. Message needs to be sent out. Take responsibilty for your own actions.
                Yep, but he didn't.

Do we punish actions or consequences?

If you drink drive for example and crash into a lampost, you're likely to lose your licence and get a heavy fine. If you drink drive and crash into person, you're likely to serve a lengthy jail sentence. Yet the action is the same.

We shouldn't be punishing someone to 'send a message'. 3 months are enough to make him grow up a bit and be more careful in the future, without being integrated into the criminal community - I have no evidence to back it up but I can't help thinking you're far more likely to be a persistent offender after 18 months inside, than 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Bedwetter View Post
                  Yep, but he didn't.

Do we punish actions or consequences?

If you drink drive for example and crash into a lampost, you're likely to lose your licence and get a heavy fine. If you drink drive and crash into person, you're likely to serve a lengthy jail sentence. Yet the action is the same.

We shouldn't be punishing someone to 'send a message'. 3 months are enough to make him grow up a bit and be more careful in the future, without being integrated into the criminal community - I have no evidence to back it up but I can't help thinking you're far more likely to be a persistent offender after 18 months inside, than 3.
                  Bollocks, this kid has f*cked his own life up good and proper, no-one made him throw the extinguisher, hang the bastard out to dry.

Better still, throw him off the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Bollocks, this kid has f*cked his own life up good and proper, no-one made him throw the extinguisher, hang the bastard out to dry.

Better still, throw him off the roof.
                    Jeez Churchill you really need to lay off the Dickens novels at lunchtime.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                      He managed to miss a stationary line of coppers and an entire crowd of students.

Seems good enough for the British athletics team to me.

It's just a shame someone'll be "doing the backstroke" and "putting their shot" up him during the 2012 Olympics.
                      He might still make it. 18 months in the prison gym and some athletics practice and he might be a useful hammer thrower in London 2012. Will face stiff competition from the Greeks, French and Italians though.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X