• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pubs are doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    No, I live in a proper house in Weston-super-Mare but I do (or used to ) work a lot in Bristol, now I go out there perhaps only once every few months.

Had a few pints of this: The Grand Bier For The Grand Pier the other night followed by 10 minutes on the go-kart track, I don't think we've been banned?

nice one Ginge, it's nice down there

when I were a lad we used to sail at the Uphill Sailing Club

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      The smoking ban's done a lot of damage over here in NL too; the problem is that in the absence of smoke, the pubs stink of old spilt booze and sweaty bodies. The smoke used to mask that smell.
      Would farting help towards a more balanced air smell? If yes we could encourage gas-rich products like beans to be provided with each pint.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I love pubs too, I grew up in a village pub. It was next to the village post office/shop and was the social centre of the village.
        The post office/shop has closed. The pub is still open, but I suspect its days may be numbered.
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          I love pubs too, I grew up in a village pub. It was next to the village post office/shop and was the social centre of the village.
          The post office/shop has closed. The pub is still open, but I suspect its days may be numbered.
          That's really sad about he P.O. A real barometer of the health of a village.

When my wife and I moved to our village (20+ years ago) the way we met people and made friends was by going to the pub.

It's quite a widely spread out comminity, and I honestly don't know how we could have fitted into the social fabric if the pub had not been there. Actually there were two pubs in the village then, but one got made into flats about 5 years ago.

I've been working away for the last eight months, so I relished going back into the pub for the first time in ages. I was delighted to find the regulars as rude and miserable as ever

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X