• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pubs are doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Variable. One a short walk from us closed a few years back. Think a big factor is ownership, next nearest was always empty when the owner was a miserable git who just closed when he felt like it, doing much better under new ownership. The most deserted pubs I've known have always had the least friendly owners and staff.
    Good point. I always wonder why someone would want to own or run a pub if he doesn't want to be friendly to people. But still it happens.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      The Weatherspoons in Bristol have a great ale selection (11 at last count) at the cheapest prices too, they also have regular ale festivals with several guest beers, the toilets are clean and the staff are friendly. They do lack a bit of soul but when you're with a few mates you soon forget where you are so on the whole not too bad IMO.

Samuel Smith's is another option but I've never gotten used to their weird beers. The Colston Yard and Zero Degrees are the only others I bother with other than my local.

Ginge,

you mean Witherspoons at the top of park street near the triangle ?

ahhh.... the triangle kebab shop, the best kebab shop in britain

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        The chap with the youngsters pub has ripped it apart, created a smoking room which is full to the brim in evenings,...
        Funny how in places where the smoking ban is partial, it's the smokers' pubs that are full. I smell the nasty whiff of governments making laws to prevent decent law-abiding citizens from doing reasonable acts. Much nastier than the whiff of tobacco, and I am a non-smoker.
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

It varies from state to state in Germany but most pubs have rooms for smoking and non-smoking where food is allowed. Where I live, practically every pub that I go to you can smoke in and most of them are reasonably busy every night of the week. Actually, even those without smoking are pretty busy as well. If I'm eating I'll sit in the non-smoking section and go outside for a fag and many put heaters and have built ashtrays for you.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            Ginge,

you mean Witherspoons at the top of park street near the triangle ?

ahhh.... the triangle kebab shop, the best kebab shop in britain

Milan.
            Yep JD Wetherspoons, also the one in Corn street with the high domed ceiling, that one used to be a bank back in the days when Bristol was Englands 2nd city.

Talking of best in Britain, Pellegrino's Fish and Chip Shop at the bottom of Christmas steps, yum.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              It varies from state to state in Germany but most pubs have rooms for smoking and non-smoking where food is allowed. Where I live, practically every pub that I go to you can smoke in and most of them are reasonably busy every night of the week. Actually, even those without smoking are pretty busy as well. If I'm eating I'll sit in the non-smoking section and go outside for a fag and many put heaters and have built ashtrays for you.
              Yep, another good thing about Germany; they have a social life with proper pubs.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Yep JD Wetherspoons, also the one in Corn street with the high domed ceiling, that one used to be a bank back in the days when Bristol was Englands 2nd city.

Talking of best in Britain, Pellegrino's Fish and Chip Shop at the bottom of Christmas steps, yum.

aye,

that's a good chippy

do you live in Sadley Broke ?

Milan.

Comment

It's the pub companies as opposed to the brewers that are the ones who really turn the screw with exorbitant rents, beer prices etc. My village local shut down in 2008 and was given planning permission to be converted to a private dwelling this year. 3 of the 4 other pubs within a 3 mile radius have shut though one is rumoured to be reopening as an Indian restaurant (better off shut IMO).

Now I just cycle to my next nearest local which entails a half mile pedal up a 1 in 5 hill on the way back. I need to sink 6 pints of Old Murky before I can even contemplate doing that. Incidentally, is it legal to drink and cycle? If not, I'm sure it probably will be soon.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    aye,

that's a good chippy

do you live in Sadley Broke ?

Milan.
                    No, I live in a proper house in Weston-super-Mare but I do (or used to ) work a lot in Bristol, now I go out there perhaps only once every few months.

Had a few pints of this: The Grand Bier For The Grand Pier the other night followed by 10 minutes on the go-kart track, I don't think we've been banned?
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                      It's the pub companies as opposed to the brewers that are the ones who really turn the screw with exorbitant rents, beer prices etc. My village local shut down in 2008 and was given planning permission to be converted to a private dwelling this year. 3 of the 4 other pubs within a 3 mile radius have shut though one is rumoured to be reopening as an Indian restaurant (better off shut IMO).

Now I just cycle to my next nearest local which entails a half mile pedal up a 1 in 5 hill on the way back. I need to sink 6 pints of Old Murky before I can even contemplate doing that. Incidentally, is it legal to drink and cycle? If not, I'm sure it probably will be soon.
                      it is

CYCLING WHILE DRUNK

Cycling is intoxicating, it gives a natural high but it's also a very sociable activity and those who partake in the weekend 'pub run' will attest that cycling is easier after the odd drink or two.

A social tipple, imbibed in moderation - the proverbial swift half - will not lead to a massive impairment in your ability to ride home but, despite alcohol's pain reducing effect, it impairs athletic performance so too much booze is bad for biking.

The Licensing Act 1872 makes it an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle (or any other vehicle or carriage, or cattle) on a highway or in a public place but this old law also forbids any public drunkenness - even in a pub - so is clearly never enforced.

In law a bicycle is defined as a carriage for use on the highway but cyclists are not in charge of 'mechanically propelled' vehicles so, in law, do not have to adhere to exactly the same 'drink drive' rules as motorists.

Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 says: "It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road or other public place when unfit to ride through drink or drugs - that is to say - is under the influence of a drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle.

In Scotland a PC may arrest without warrant a person committing an offence under this section. There is no obligation for a cyclist to submit to a blood or urine alcohol test.

'Road' in the above bit of legislation includes a bridleway so don't think you can get blotto at a country pub and ride home 'off road' without risk.

And here's the rub. If you ride drunk you risk endangering yourself and possibly others by your actions. Would you ride home blindfolded? Beer-googles and bicycles do not mix. And, as stated above, cycling 'dangerously' can be fined by up to £2500.

You cannot get endorsements on your UK driving licence for a 'drink cycling' offence. Some US States have such a law so be careful when searching on this topic via Google.

The UK Highway Code - a useful but not a definitive source for UK legislation on motoring and cycling offences - says the penalty point system is "intended to deter drivers from following unsafe driving practices...The accumulation of penalty points acts as a warning to drivers that they risk disqualification if further offences are committed."

Note the word 'drivers.'

In law, cyclists propel vehicles on the highway and so have to adhere to the same rules as motorists. However, the fines and penalties for offences are different. Cyclists DO NOT qualify for three penalty points for failing to comply with a red light. Offending cyclists, when caught, are given a non-endorsable fixed penalty ticket for £30. There are no offences that carry penalty points for cyclists.

from CYCLING AND THE LAW :: Bike For All >> The essential resource for everyone who cycles... or is thinking about it.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X